Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an Eliminator style hood scoop and rear spolier on my 69. I've got all of the parts, but no templates. I'd kinda like to be sure before I start drilling. :bloated:

Could someone please post pics and/or measurements for proper positioning of the scoop on the hood and the spoiler on the trunk deck? :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Nice clean non drilled hoods are getting harder and harder to find. Maybe look for one that someone has already hacked up and keep your nice one up in the attic.
I know that's not what you want to hear....have you tried the search function?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The center of the foot that holds the spoiler is 10" in from the side of trunk lid and 23" from the back of the lid on both sides.
The front scoop is 2&5/8 off the rear hood edge, and 24" to the center from the side,this is measured at the back of the scoop, if you look under the hood you will see big holes punched from the factory, this is where the scoop should be positioned so the holes you drill will accessible.At least four corners .OK clear as mud

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice clean non drilled hoods are getting harder and harder to find. Maybe look for one that someone has already hacked up and keep your nice one up in the attic.
I know that's not what you want to hear....have you tried the search function?
Yep, did the search thing. Understand that good hoods are hard to come by, but buying another one to preserve the pristine one would be cost prohibitive. Sorry, but it's simple economics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The center of the foot that holds the spoiler is 10" in from the side of trunk lid and 23" from the back of the lid on both sides.
The front scoop is 2&5/8 off the rear hood edge, and 24" to the center from the side,this is measured at the back of the scoop, if you look under the hood you will see big holes punched from the factory, this is where the scoop should be positioned so the holes you drill will accessible.At least four corners .OK clear as mud
Thanks towcat! That's exactly what I needed. Got the spoiler mounted and it looks awesome. Only problem is now the trunk lid won't stay open due to the added weight on the old trunk tension rods. I know they can be replaced, but will the reproductions hold the added weight of the spoiler, or will I end up with the same problem?

I was hoping to avoid a prop, but again, budget may force it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The original torsion rods are and were not intended to support a spoiler, (repro or original). Cars with a factory spoiler were also equipped with a prop rod for this reason.

Personally, I hate the prop rod, so like a lot of people, I equipped one hinge with a gas strut instead. I was able to get the trunk to open by itself (with an electric trunk release) and stay open using a 70# strut and adjusting the torsion rod position to get this just right.

You can find some pictures of my setup on my ECI thread in the tech section.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
On the hood DO NOT START with the four corners...Instead put the screws in the scoop open the hood turn the scoop upside down and see that the hood already has indents for the screws there are 6....drill those out then place the scoop on the hood(make sure to place tape on the hood where the screws will sit. Then mark the four corners and drill out.(assuming it is a factory scoop, if not then they could be anywhere and you need to make a template)

I have cut up about 6 hoods getting good at doing scoops, still nervous each time thou...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That's a good idea, working from underneath to verify that the screws and holes will line up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts