Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just left a customer today and was making a left turn when I saw the unmistakable taillights of the first gen Cougar sitting outside a custom exhaust installer. I threw a u-turn went back and parked and went straight for the beauty I had passed a minute
before. She was even better looking up close, gorgeous burgandy, with black vinyl roof and red decor interior. Still sporting bias ply tires with original wheel covers this car looked like it just came off the assembly line! The chrome still sparkled and the grille and running cat emblem looked fantastic after 44 years. I approached and elderly gentleman inside the shop and asked him if it belonged to him, and he responded yes, since 1971! He proceeded to tell me that he was the sales manager at the Lincoln-Mercury dealership just down the road(now a Dodge dealership) in 1968 and sold the car new to a local man who traded it in back in 1971 and he decided to buy it himself. He told me it had 20,000 miles on it then and now has 50,000 miles! That is less than
800 miles a year! He was there because he needed to have his exhaust looked at after all this time. All I can say is I love my car but it was just such a special treat to see an original car still looking spectacular after all these years. My only regret is I did not have my camera with me so I could share what I saw today!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I hope you got the mans address. I am sure he would have let you come over and take some pictures. Maybe you could build up friendship and kinda let him know if he ever decides to get rid of it you would be interested.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts