Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for pics of 67/8s that are satin/flat black. I tried a search but am not having much luck, I found a couple though.

...I might get eyes rolled at me for wanting to paint my Cougar satin black, a couple friends already gave me a hard time asking why I want a car from 68 to look like a rat rod :bloated: but the reason is this... Its just temporary (hopefully) Because I have the drivetrain working superb, but wont be able to afford the mile deep, slick black, arrow straight paint job that I want for quite a while and I have an insane itch to drive the car this summer,
the body is fairly decent & but has an old backyard paintjob which is wavy and scratched & stonechipped. I have access to the shop I work @ with all the sanding supplies and body filler & a couple gallons of free satin black paint, so with a little time and elbow grease,
I can at least have the car looking mean but presentable & not like a junk heap for the next couple summers while I save up for her real paint job. Just want to find a couple pictures to make sure its something I want to go through with.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I can at least have the car looking mean but presentable & not like a junk heap
Flat back is the blue tarp of paint jobs. They both mean failure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Failure is your opinion. Blue tarp, I wont disagree with that, but I would rather be able to enjoy the car somewhat rather than have it sit a couple more years until I can afford the paint job that it deserves, seeing as alot of time & money has been spent on getting the drivetrain to where it is today. If I were spending money on this paint job obviously I would be going in a different direction, but like I said, the only thing being spent is a couple weeks of my evenings, which I think can be justified seeing as its a fraction of what was spent on the rest of the car and will be a fraction of what will be spent when it gets a real paint job in a few years. Thanks for your opinion though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I like the flat/satin black route. It looks really good with the chrome nice and nice rims and tires. I get the same reaction from my friends when I mention the flat black but it will be better than three or four different colors and hopefully will not be what I call "Mountie bait" or cop bait. Flat black can also look like crap, there is a fine line!!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The first cars I saw with flat paint really looked good, but they were well executed. Then a bunch of people started seeing it as a rattle can solution to a real paint job. It has turned into the old-school equivalent of putting a body kit on a rusty stock 4 door civic with skinny tires. I genuinely believe that for a Cougar you will get far more respect with beat pain and tons of patina than you will with flat black paint. The painter I use tells me that to do flat paint well it's just as much money as shooting color, except for the final wet sand and buff. The hard part is not getting stripes or clouds or spots. Good luck with your car. The best part of the hobby is that everybody has lots of choices.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
This is a Black and White press release of of a 67 XR-7. It could be black, red, or blue I don't know because a color picture has never surfaced.
The lighting that the photographer used makes it appear sort of a satin black so I know what you mean as to the effect your speaking of.

I kind of like it too, it's different. It's there but doesn't attract too much attention. Kind of Cat like!

67PRESS2.JPG

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There was one on here about 3 or 4 years ago that possibly had red wall tires and small hub caps. It was hoped up a bit and many really liked the look. Sorry, I don't have the pictures any more. If it wasn't here, It may also have been in a mag.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
There is a guy who used to post regularly on here with a really tough looking satin black First Gen. His name escapes me right now but I'll do some snooping around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just do it. It's your car...the one in the pic looks pretty good. You could also throw in another $50 and buy some clear to shoot over the satin and make it shiny.

·
11,000 Posts
Basil's car looks better in person than it does in pictures.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thats kinda harsh, I have a awesome 2 stage base clear flat black paint job on my bike.. and there is nothing fail about it.
Regenesis-2.JPG

Was planning to do my 67 in the same way.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Flat black is actually pretty hard to spray.

You can't sand it, so you only have one shot to put it on, unless you use rattle cans, then there's the risk it'll go patchy.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Flat black is actually pretty hard to spray.

You can't sand it, so you only have one shot to put it on, unless you use rattle cans, then there's the risk it'll go patchy.
Yes, that is true. I was walking a major show with a pro painter friend of mine who said the same thing. He did it on an old custom of his and was ticked that he could not get it even. Then we stumbled upon a sinister flat black Cuda in the GoodGuys Street Machine Of The Year Finalist parking area that was built by a Ridler Award winning shop... and that Cuda had splotches in it too.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When it comes to painting with our newer HVLP guns, it really is a slower process compared to the older style cup guns. I would think the older style cup gun would be better to use when doing a flat paint job, you just can't put too much on. The problem with mat or flat paint is, putting too much on, all at once can make it glossier. I may be wrong on some points about this, but there are others here that do this for a living that can comment on the subject.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I just talked to a guy who had his Hot Rod painted with Sherwin Williams S57 Ultra Shade flat black and it looked great.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="92%">AS2374
... using. ULTRA –FILL II® “ULTRA-SHADE”™ Acrylic Urethane Sealers Gray –S56, Black –S57, White –S58 P R O ... PRODUCT ULTRA-FILL II® “ULTRA-SHADE” Acrylic Urethane Sealer S56 (Gray), S57 (Black), S58 (White) USE A ...
http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/media/pds/English/AS2374.pdf - 73.9KB - Automotive Internet </TD><TD width="8%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=120><TBODY><TR class=score><TD width="40%">82%</TD><TD width="60%">||||||||||||||||||||
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>19 Feb 04</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Find Similar</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Highlight</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Back to what the OP was seeking opinions about: My point was that flat black, done right, can be really nice, done as a cover up, not so much.

There was a '57 Chevy that was done as a two tone with suede black down low and color up top. I am trying to find a picture. I think this is a very interesting combination. Anybody know about that one?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts