1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
442 Posts
I replaced the long headers on my 70 standard 351C V4 heads with Sanderson Shorty headers. I am happy with them now and here comes the big hairy but! I received the first pair of headers, yanked my long headers and installed the shorty headers. You won't need any extension for the ram and I cut my extension since the PO welded it to the frame. I trailered my car to an exhaust shop that was recommended by my car club and he modified my original exhaust for shorty headers and out of the rack they were leaking. I figured that it was something that I installed wrong so I ordered another set of felpro manifold gaskets and tried again, and again, I believe I had at least one side of the exhaust off or another five separate times. Finally I brought it back to the muffler shop that modified the exhaust and they tried with a new set of gaskets. After not sealing up properly they pulled the headers and found that the welds were ground too close to the pipes when they were cleaning up the mounting plate and they would get hot and just blow through. After many months of frustrating exhaust leaks not to mention cash money exchanging hands with the muffler shop, I sent the headers back to Sandersons with the explanation "these are my nightmare headers". A nice lady said they would look at them and see what they could do. I was not interested in getting them back and reinstalled my long headers. and continued living my life.

After about 2 months, I remembered that they were at Sandersons and gave them another call to inquire, no one there knew anything about my headers but I was promised a follow up and got that the next day. The guy opened the box and read my note which I proceeded to explain this whole scenario. Long story short, they sent me a set of new headers ceramic coated this time free of charge and these bolted up perfectly the first time. They made good on the headers and I am happy with them now. It seems that I have to usually get the "bad part" or endure some kind of hassle in order to accomplishing simple tasks on my cars. You may have an easier time. Besides the price being high ($325.00) they are doing the job, I have lost a little bit of low end horse power but I'm not a racer anyway. Now if something scrapes under the Cat it is the frame. and that's what I did over my summer vacation! Sal

BTW those are the headers that you need. They are shaped similar to the original exhaust manifolds that came with the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sal, thanks for the write up. I had noticed on the website that the headers have a patented design to be used without a gasket, and it says in the notes section that the raised flange will actually buckle a gasket and cause it to leak. I wonder if that might've been part of the issue as well.

Since they seem to be the only shorty's and they fit, I'm going to give them a shot and hope for no defective weld. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I had sold a set of the ceramic coated ones with a 302 project I had. When I had fitting problems with my 351w into my 67, i tried to buy them back since that person had not used them yet but no luck. I threw on a set of Hedman's made for the swap but the port match is terrible. Only using them to get the car through the paint shop. What I have bought and will install as soon as I get the car back is some JBA shorties number 1653. Much better port match and nicely constructed. And the place I bought them from beat the heck out of anywhere else online. I was leery at first but got my order quickly. http://buyjba.com I got the titanium coated for $623 I think it was. Also got their down pipe too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
6869, I talked to customer service before I brought it back to the muffler shop and they recommended that I did not use gaskets so I scraped off all the old gasket material and still no seal. The weld that held the pipes to the mounting bracket was so thin that when the muffler shop pulled the headers to inspect them, you could see a pin hole when looking through them with a light. He even tried to braze the weld on the first try and then another section would blow out. I was a bit concerned that Sanderson would not honor the header because they had sat on my bench for about 6 months before I could get to them and then my guy put a welding iron to them in an attempt to fix the problem. They obviously saw a significant enough problem to replace with an upgrade. With everything done, I am happy.

I got the titanium coated for $623 I think it was.
and I thought 325.00 was pricey but if they work, they work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
letsroll, I searched the JBA site and didn't find any for a 351C. It sounds like Sanderson's the only one out there for a Cleveland, thanks though. You're going to have to post some photo's after the fresh paint. What color are you going with?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sal, aside from the defective weld, its nice knowing the company will stand by the product and replace it. I called prior to starting this thread and they told me it would fit a 70 Stang for sure, but wasn't positive on a 70 Cat with a stick. Hearing your experience, I don't doubt what he told me. If they don't fit, send them back for a full refund. At least from yours I know they'll fit know... just have to cross my fingers for the weld.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mine was a FMX, hope yours fit, they are easier to install than long headers for sure but don't know about the standard linkage. SalD

·
Registered
24 Posts
did you ever buy these shorty headers? just found this post......i'm thinking of adding them to my 70 351c

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my '70 351-2V with Hooker long-tube headers, and I'm dragging every speed bump and pothole. I don't believe they can be modified to give me more clearance. I also found Sanderson shorties, but the more I look at the engine bay, the more I think the passenger side shock tower will be a clearance problem.

Did any of you finally choose FC-4? Did it require any mods? If I can't find a pair that will fit, I'm contemplating buying a pair of your used exhaust manifolds and living with the loss of a few horses. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts