Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! :D Well i have a question and a story to tell. Well about a week ago i read an article on the CCOA site Once around the Cat, (I recommend all new or soon to be owners to read the whole thing ;) ) one part is in reference to a recall for the drivers seat on 1968 and 1969 Cats.

Here is a segment from the article:-
If you have a '68 or '69 cat, check the driver seat back attachment for the recall campaign fix. There should be a heavy bracket secured by a bolt over the seat back attachment. There is a heavy pin on this bracket that forms the pivot for the seat back when positioned forward. For '69, this bracket is D7AA-69618C46-A and you will find one in most any Ford vendor's dollar pile. I got the recall because I still owned my car in 1977. Without this bracket, the front seat back pivot can break, allowing the seat back to fall rearward. Losing control this way leads to the sort of excitement you want to avoid. If you drive the car, put the bracket on soon! If you are selling the vehicle, at least inform the new owner of the situation.

Well i thought i should check mine, my seat had no extra bolt so i thought i better go get one... well, i put it off for a few days and then snap..... i was luckily not driving the car at the time!! I know most of you long time Cat owners probably already know about this but for you new Cat owners please do check and be safe!! :D

Well now i have a question for you?? Can mine be fixed??? or do i need a new seat back??? Could i just drill a hole in both ends of the bracket get another two peices of metal and clamp them either side with bolts and then get the recall bolt kit?? Would that work?? Could you please help me i can't drive my Cat anywhere right now!! :cry:

Any help would be most appreciated

Stu - :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Try a new seat. W/ the bracket. I've a similar problem in my 73, but it was maltreatment, not a defect. I snagged a replacemnet base from one the site's members(thanks Zane), and will swap the seatback onto the new base, saving the embossed upholstery. That's what I did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts