Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the shocks off of the back, no problem. The car is up on jack stands and the tires are four inches off the ground. If I take the front shocks off are the coil springs going to stay in there or is this a bad thing with out the tires on the ground? I took one bolt off of the bottom of one front shock and it jumped, so did I. Stopped right there till I hear from yall. Thanks

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Put a jack under the lower control arm and raise it enough that it takes pressure off the shock. The shock limits the travel of the spring. Things could get bloody if you take the other nut off. Once you get it off, WITH THE JACK UNDER IT, you can slowly let the jack back down. As long as the springs are factory length, and not been cut a lot, they coil will stay in place.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you're just replacing the shocks, you don't need to let the suspension hang all the way down. As stated before, jack the suspension back up some.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not replacing them, stripping car down to get media blasted. Thanks for the info, I will jack it up and then finish taking the shock off. They are factory springs and have not been cut.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
put a jack under the lower control arm and raise it enough that it takes pressure off the shock. The shock limits the travel of the spring. Things could get bloody if you take the other nut off. Once you get it off, with the jack under it, you can slowly let the jack back down. As long as the springs are factory length, and not been cut a lot, they coil will stay in place.
x2........

·
Premium Member
268 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well right now I seem to have a problem, without the weight of the engine I can jack the car up and still have to much tension on the springs to take the shocks off. A friend of mine suggested something for torsion bars? not sure what he was talking about. I am currently going to leave the shocks in place as it is leaving hopefully tomorrow to be media blasted. I will let the guy at the paint shop see what kind of ideas he has. He has a hoist so maybe put the car on the hoist and maybe he has something he can chain the front down with while he hoists the car. Kinda like the way they bend the I-beams for alligning the older trucks.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hmmm what are you trying to do exactly ? just take off the front shocks ? those can be taken off even with the car on the ground, as they come out on the top, but the shock will "raise" itself upwards when taking off the two bolts on the shocktower cap, first i take off the top bolts on the shock, then i usually just jack up the front wheel enough to get it off, then it´s easier to get off the lower nuts on the shock, and reversed procedure when installing, fasten the bottom nuts first, then push down the shock and fasten the top bolts.
And to get the coil spring itself out, you need a spring compressor, compress the spring, then most likely you´ll have to loosen or even take off the lower control arm to get the spring out

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hmmm what are you trying to do exactly ? just take off the front shocks ? those can be taken off even with the car on the ground, as they come out on the top, but the shock will "raise" itself upwards when taking off the two bolts on the shocktower cap, first i take off the top bolts on the shock, then i usually just jack up the front wheel enough to get it off, then it´s easier to get off the lower nuts on the shock, and reversed procedure when installing, fasten the bottom nuts first, then push down the shock and fasten the top bolts.
And to get the coil spring itself out, you need a spring compressor, compress the spring, then most likely you´ll have to loosen or even take off the lower control arm to get the spring out
Jan is correct, if just changing the shocks, no need to sweat it, do it on the ground. But, with my suggested compressor, no need to take the UCA out to get the spring out.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well right now the shock is fully extended and not long enough. If I were to take the bottom bolts off that spring is still under pressure and will expand some more, not sure how much but I don't want to find out right now. I do want to pick up spring compressor so that later I can pull the front springs, upper and lower arms ect. and refinish them. I was just going to take the shocks out to make it easier to media blast? Right now i have one shock that I removed the upper bolts, I took one of the lower nuts off and everything went taught real fast, I stopped there. I was worried about the coil spring jumping out! If the painter doesn't have any ideas or if it is not going to be in the way just leave it till I get a compressor but I need something I can use with the shock in there or I need to wait till I have the weight of the engine back in there. At least this is my thinking.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
+1 on the four hook style compressor. I borrowed one from O'Reilly. To keep it from slipping and to keep it centered in the spring, I had to put a pair of vise grips on all four hooks. If the spring compressor slips, you could seriously injury yourself. Definitely take the shocks out when the front wheels are on the ground no matter what.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Harvey, you are correct that without the weight of the engine the springs will want to bring the car further up than the full extended length of the shocks. However, the springs will not jump out of the body/suspension even without the shocks. So you can remove the shocks without worry even though the car/spring jumping may be a bit unnerving. You will not be able to remove the shocks without the jumping unless there is sufficient weight in the front of the car to make the suspension sit at a position lower than the full extended length of the shocks.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Harvey, it sounds like you are doing this procedure the wrong way.
Now, the front end of the car is jacked up, and supported by jackstands, and the suspension is hanging freely, is that correct ?
If so, bolt back on the two top bolts of the shock on the shocktower if you already have taken them off, then place the jack under the lower control arm (LCA) and jack it up, so it will sit like the car is on the ground, then if you have not already, take off the wheel, then take off the two nuts underneath the shock, the shock is bolted to the spring perch on the upper control arm (UCA) careful not to loosen the spring perch.
When the LCA is jacked up, and then lower shock nuts are removed, then take off the top bolts on the shock, place your hand over the shock just before removing the lats bolt, and give it a slight pressure, take off the last bolt, and slowly release the hand on the shock, it will slowly raise itself up trough the shocktower, remove the shock braces on the towertop, take out the shock, and you´re done.

The spring itself will not come out, or go anywhere unless you loosen and try to take off the upper control arm (uca) not completely sure how the coil is affected if you try to loosen and take off the spring perches tho.

When putting the shocks back in, slide the shock into the hole, jack up the lca, remove the wheel, put back on and fasten the two nuts on the underside of the shock, put back on and fasten the shockbrace, push down the shock and bolt in the two top bolts on the shock, put on the wheel and fasten it, lower the jack, voila finished :)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jan,

That's all good but it won't work that way since (I believe from what Harvey has said) the engine is not in the car.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Good call Bob, i forgot he said that the engine s out, but it should not be that big of a problem, if he can not get the spring to compress enough just by jacking up the lca, then he might consider putting something to weigh down the front end while he takes of the shocks, sandbags, bricks, have a couple of buddies sit in the engine bay those minutes it takes to take of the shocks, the options are many, only limited by the mind ;)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1968XR7Vert? How far do you think the car will jump if I pull that bottom nut of that shock? My concern is the spring coming out at me. I have heard some horror stories and right not there apears to be a lot of tension on that shock. I was thinking, What if I put a chain on the upper arm, have the chain under a board, jack on top of board and then jack the lower arm up? Sounds chancy but might work? My biggest concern is when the car is media blasted I do not want the shock towers or the caps blasted. They are natural right now and look good. That is the only reason I am trying so hard to get the shocks off.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Guys, back on page 1 Harvey said he was stripping the car down for media blasting. I'm pretty sure this means he needs to get the springs (and shocks) completely out!

Harvey.... I'd take Bob's advice and buy/rent a spring compressor and follow the procedures outlined here to safely remove the srpings. That is, if your painter/blaster doesn't have the correct tools himself. If he's done this on other Cougars/Mustangs/Chevy II's/some AMC vehicles; he's probably got one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts