Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cool looking car. How would you tell a 68 from a 67 in this case there are no side markers?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Larry - no, car was shut down.

And Harvey, door tag was still on the car and I got the vin for Phil.

Here's a shot of it on the track.

It was originally going to be a highly modified street car but they decided to make it an all-out racer a coupl'a weeks before VIR so this was it's first time out on the track.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Carl Vogt was talking to me about that car two weeks ago, glad that someone got some better pictures of it.
It is one of their customers cars, I mentioned to him about the website that David Tom created for his restored T/A Cougar. I also suggested that they google 'Bob Estes Cougar'. That one is still around SoCal.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like all the Cobra Automotive cars the Cougar was very, very nicely built. It still had the metal bumpers and the stock grill so they know there is a lot of weight they can take out of it.

I told them I did David Tom's decals in case they wanted some of those.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Cool Cat. I was wondering who's car that was looking at the pics on the SAAC website. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Cool looking car. How would you tell a 68 from a 67 in this case there are no side markers?
There is also other ways to see if it´s a 67 or 68 than the doortag, 68 had visible VIN # trough the windshield on the right side of the dash, 67 had no VIN # there, and also how the inside rearview mirror is attached is different between 67 and 68

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1967 Cougars do not have a torque box on the passenger side. Which would be another way to check the year on an original Cougar.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I just got back from the Shelby Convention at Virginia International Raceway.

Cobra Automotive had a cool '68 that they were campaigning.

Here are some pics.
Did ya see my buds Phil & Deb there? Probably driving her '66 GT350...I don't think his '68 is ready yet...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hard to say but chances are pretty good I saw them and their '66. I spent 8 hours there and covered every inch of VIR at least a dozen times.

I did chat with a gentleman (can't recall his name, I am HORRIBLE with names!) - he is good friends with the automotive writer Tom Cotter and he is restoring a GT-E. He had it at the last SAAC convention at VIR. I asked him how the restoration was going and he said the body work, paint and engine were done but there was still a lot left.

Extremely nice guy. He had a famous barn find '67 GT500 with him this time. Along with a George Barris painted 427 Cobra.

His should be one of the best W code Cougars when it is done.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I did chat with a gentleman (can't recall his name, I am HORRIBLE with names!) - he is good friends with the automotive writer Tom Cotter and he is restoring a GT-E. He had it at the last SAAC convention at VIR. I asked him how the restoration was going and he said the body work, paint and engine were done but there was still a lot left.
That would be Jim Maxwell.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Hard to say but chances are pretty good I saw them and their '66..
Sure you did - I just found out they had both cars there - his recently resurrected white '68 was painted with krylon spray cans.

Phil (gt350Shelb on the SAAC forum) & I have been doing motorhead stuff together since 6th grade.

I'll make it to a SAAC event one of these years...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Cobra Automotive sent me a couple of pictures and the specs for that Cougar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts