Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the S.R.O.D. transmission will bolt in as a toploader does. I understand they are basically the same, but this one does have the internal rail shifter instead of the shift rods. It's out of an 82 Mustang GT.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The SROD will bolt right in. You can use the SROD bellhousing from the Mustang and use a cable clutch. However, the SROD is a 4-spd overdrive transmission and has some huge holes between gears. I've owned both 82 and 83 GTs. The 82 had the SROD and the 83 had a T5. The SROD couldn't compare gearing wise to the T5. I was always shifting gears around town in the SROD where 3rd gear in the T5 always seemed just right. T5s are easy to come by, I'd go that route first. Most early GT owners replace the SROD with a T5.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would the SROD use the Toploader crossmember?

·
Registered
145 Posts
the srod should use the same crossmember. there is also a 4spd o/drive tranny that looks like a toploader except for the main case has a larege band cast into it. they both will work but you'll have to make a shifter for it. I used the other tranny(not srod) in my cougar with a hurst shifter and 3.89 gears and it worked pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts