Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

An opportunity fell into my lap, and I wanted to get some opinions. I'm going to look at this car this coming weekend, and was curious as to what folks here think as to an appropriate value.

Since at the moment I dont have any pictures, I would be more interested in opinions of "after-restoration" value (assuming numbers match). That way, I can have that number in my head and work backwards once I see the actual condition of the car, and the appropriate numbers in person.

Im not really much on blue guts, but if I can buy it right then I might have to learn to live with it, or maybe sell it. Who knows.

Any insight is surely appreciated.........

rptMain_959 (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Depending upon what level of restoration, $45-60,000?

Numbers matching carburetor, air cleaner, heat shield, snorkel, and radiator, are all expensive to find and or replace. Consider the value of these items in your calculations if they are missing.

Good luck with it panning out for you.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yeah, I think Scotts in the ballpark....good color combo and a 4 spd make it pretty desirable. Let us know when you drag it home!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like the color combo, sounds like a need car

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that high huh? Having seen some 428 cars lately advertised in the $50's, I would have thought a bit lower.
(Although there may have been issues with those cars:they were out of my price range so I didnt really pay that much attention)

I'll be taking my notepad with me when I drive up there this weekend. Thanks for the insight........

Depending upon what level of restoration, $45-60,000?

Numbers matching carburetor, air cleaner, heat shield, snorkel, and radiator, are all expensive to find and or replace. Consider the value of these items in your calculations if they are missing.

Good luck with it panning out for you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely like the 4spd, but I've just never really been into the blue interiors for an Ecat. Black or white does it for me. People bought them though, so what do I know?......lol

yeah, I think Scotts in the ballpark....good color combo and a 4 spd make it pretty desirable. Let us know when you drag it home!

·
Registered
748 Posts
that high huh? Having seen some 428 cars lately advertised in the $50's, I would have thought a bit lower.
(Although there may have been issues with those cars:they were out of my price range so I didnt really pay that much attention)

I'll be taking my notepad with me when I drive up there this weekend. Thanks for the insight........
I can't figure out why this one hasn't sold. http://www.cars-on-line.com/57368.html It may not be perfect but it seems like a deal to me.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I can't figure out why this one hasn't sold. http://www.cars-on-line.com/57368.html It may not be perfect but it seems like a deal to me.
Yeah, I agree with you Danny. Not sure if Mike Ruo's #'s matching yellow CJ/4spd car sold ~ last price I saw it at was $33k or so. That one needed work too.
I think the only thing holding back the green Ontario car is non-#'s matching drivetrain. It's been bid up to about $35k in the past.

Sorry for the side-track, One Punch. Post up some pics when you make your decision, one way or the other :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no problem Mike. Cougars do tend to "side-track" us all. lol

Yeah, I agree with you Danny. Not sure if Mike Ruo's #'s matching yellow CJ/4spd car sold ~ last price I saw it at was $33k or so. That one needed work too.
I think the only thing holding back the green Ontario car is non-#'s matching drivetrain. It's been bid up to about $35k in the past.

Sorry for the side-track, One Punch. Post up some pics when you make your decision, one way or the other :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This makes me sick to my stomach. A few years ago I was at a flee market and at a mustang booth there was a very nice 69 blue on blue Eliminator 428cj there. They were asking $4500 and since it was at the end of the day, they probably would have taken $4000 for it. It was in really nice shape and other than the faded paint all original:( if I knew then what I know now.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yeah... you can't knock yourself for no knowing then what you know now >.< I'm sure we ALL have those stories!
Mine is a $17k '68 GT500KR 4speed... at the time that was alot of money ~ but not crazy dollars, like they are now!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: S code Eliminator found.......Photos added

Well, I went today to see about this car, and I decided to pass. Car was pretty well chewed up, and had the wrong motor. Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea......

pillar.jpg

dash.jpg

if I was into the "rebody" thing, then maybe this would have had more interest from me, but I'm not. And having the wrong motor was just the icing on the cake. It's too bad, I was hoping for the best on this one......

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

Well, I went today to see about this car, and I decided to pass. Car was pretty well chewed up, and had the wrong motor. Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea......

if I was into the "rebody" thing, then maybe this would have had more interest from me, but I'm not. And having the wrong motor was just the icing on the cake. It's too bad, I was hoping for the best on this one......
Yow... not a pretty sight. Do you have any "entire car" pics to post up, for posterity? Also, is this one in the registry already? Will you tell us how much they were asking, or was it one of those "how much will you give me" kinda deals?

Sorry it didn't pan out,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Not sure if its in the database, VIN is 9F91S580385. I didn't take any shots of the whole car. It was at a bankruptcy auction, and it ended up getting $2,250. I bid up to $1500 basing that only on parts value, and then I bowed out. If it had the correct motor, I would have went higher though.........

also just for giggles a rough 66 galaxie 4dr with a 428 in it went for 900 bucks....lol

edit: also, the auctioneer indicated there were title problems with the car. He didnt go into detail.

Yow... not a pretty sight. Do you have any "entire car" pics to post up, for posterity? Also, is this one in the registry already? Will you tell us how much they were asking, or was it one of those "how much will you give me" kinda deals?

Sorry it didn't pan out,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts