Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have minimal rust on my 67 but around the tank is bad and panels to the left and right are holey. I'ved tried sprinkiling holy water on them but it just added to the problem. :cry: Any sources for new panels?

·
Registered
263 Posts
hmmmmm...

The panels to the left and right, I'm not sure but i think the mustang ones fit??? If so they are available from all mustang dealers. Mustang Plus, Mustangs Unlimited etc see the links section!!

Stu - :D

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
just buy the panels and cut what you need and weld them in .No sence of replacing the entire piece, and sell the rest of the panel and make some money back from them.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've looked through Mustang Unlimited's Cougar catalog and didn't see these sections but if they got them for the stang they'll probably adapt. Do those panels include the part that holds the tank? update: I just went through their website and could not identify what I needed. Anyone bought these?

·
Registered
588 Posts
It sounds like you are looking for trunk dropoff panels. Try to buy them from a Cougar vendor, I remember someone telling me that the Mustang ones have the indentations reversed from the Cougars.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I did this repair to my 67 a month or so ago. Some (not all) of the Mustang vendors sell a trunk floor (RH and LH seperate) repair panel. They are not a direct fit as the cougars are longer in the rear than a Mustang. The drop offs on a Mustang are shorter so what I did was bought the Mustang trunk floor piece and the Cougar drop offs. I only used part of the Mustang piece but now that its done it looks pretty close to factory. Looks WAY better than if you just use sheet metal. I bought my trunk floors from Tony Branda and the drop off panels from Mustangs Unlimited. The trunk floor panels were VERY thin material (not very good quality) but the drop off parts from Must Unlimited were very thick and good quality. I would call Must Unl and see if they have the trunk floor also cause it may be of thicker material.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts