Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I left off 2 years ago I had treated and encapsulated surface rust on the roof using Eastwood products. It appears some of that rust is coming through and now its time for the top.

Should I lightly sand it and POR 15 it? Rustoleom? Or something else. This will be getting a vinyl top right away. I would like it to last for a while before I have to replace the roof.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
how bad is the rust...if not to bad then I would jsu sand it and por-15 it..but after you por15 it..you have to top coat it with some sort of paint or it will start to turn white and im not sure if the rust stopping properties get worse when this happens..how long before you replace the vinyl top..is it gonna sit out side?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My Polara has some rust under it's vinyl roof. The roof will be sanded using a rotary sander with an 3M pad from Eastwood. I will then rub some Picklex 20 rust converter into it and let sit a minute before wash. Right after that it will get 2 coats of PPG epoxy primer before a color coat of white. Then the new vinyl roof will go on. I won't use POR 15 anywhere on any of my cars. Under my F100 after a good cleaning I use Eastwood's Rust converter (2 coats) and let it sit 48 hours. Then some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and then their Extreme Chassis Black. Areas done three years ago look like yesterday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used POR 15 on the floors of my CJ7 they still look good but its been only a year. The car will be sitting inside and the top will go on within a month so I'm not worried about top coating. I went ahead and sanded the Eastwood I had done before then but the POR 15 on. If it lasts for ten years without bubbling through the vinyl I'll be happy.

Then maybe it'll be a top less car...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts