Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a nightmare. My a pillars are pretty well shot in addition to the rust on the drip rails. Damn vinyl tops. Anyway, how do I go about repairing the Apillar and what might be the costs. Is it even possible? Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please...anyone...

Wow, that bad huh...no one wants to touch it. Anyone with any suggestions or info...please...

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's a situation that I've never personally have dealt with so I can't tell you if it's a difficult thing to fix or give you specifics on how to go about fixing it. However, I would contact your local body shops and get some quotes together for comparision. If the top is really all that shot...try a shop that specializes in hot rods. They chop tops all of the time and it might be more feasible to have them replace the entire thing from a car in a junk yard. I took the black vinyl top off of mine and I just had to scrape the adhesive off except where some surface rust had developed in places where the top was scratched all of the way through. While you're at the shop...maybe making your car a convertible might be an option if funds are available and you don't mind losing the originality. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
the cougar i was going to restore what is now my parts car. it has rusty "A" pillars, especially at the door hinges. i was going to cut and fabricate new sections. but then i saw a cougar for sale in arizona that solved that nightmare. now the parts car is a cougar shaped rusty thing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hopefully mine isn't that bad. Did you ever get to the point of getting into the cost of fabricating and replacing your a pillars? I have prepared myself for a couple of grand to fix them and the rust on the drip rail. Does that sound good, or more (or less:) )

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I found the rust free cougar for $2500. The parts car has paid for its self in parts the for the other car, I got lucky that they are both clevelands, 2v & a 4v.

I was going to cut up another cougar for the parts but they were all rusted in the same place. i also though of just kill all the rust there and scabbing in some heavy plate w predilled holes for the hinges. then i said naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. i will be chasing the rust on this car forever. i went on a cougar hunt that lasted two years.

can you take a pic of it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skin Graft for the Cat

I will get a picture of the rust asap. My friend has been doing the legwork for me and has gotten some help from Metro Mustangs in Atlanta. Between them and the body shop they work with the best solution we've come up with was to utilize the foRward part of a mustangs roof and graft it in since the a pillars are the same. Should come in around 2500 bucks including painting the car and any other minor work. I'll have to take some pic's of the car sans it's roof. Anyone ever heard of this sort of thing?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ted Earheardt at ford mans mustang in houston has done it or knows of it been done, he is the one who was going to provide a wrecked cougar for me to cut up but there werent any good pieces to work with. A mustang should work too. they use the same windshield and side galss. 2500 sounds like a good deal.
thats about the price of a good paint job alone. i like to use sikkens or grip-guard.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Rusted "A" Pillars....

I would really be interested in knowing how this turns out....if you end up repairing them I mean. Mine is bad in the top right corner of the windshield.....rot is almost all the way through. I will be looking to do something with mine as well so I am especially interested in which route you take on this.

Keep us posted....

Dale

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will keep everyone posted. The car is going to the shop Wednesday. Since I won't be back in the U.S. until November I have told them to work on it as they have time so long as it's done by then. This saved me a good deal of cash. He says they've done this a lot on Mustangs and sees no problems with a Cougar since my C pillars and back are good...Only surface rust there. Come November I have a complely rebuilt 302 going in with all sorts of goodies added to replace the original 302 2v (I'll keep it safely stored away). SOme new seat covers and a good interior cleaning and I'll have a really nice driver I think. I hope anyway since I'll probably have to sell my Bronco II driver to finish it...or get a second job for a while.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Off to the shop this Wednesday. Should be out by November...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts