Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some floor rust on my '72 convertible where the floor pan meets the inside threshold lip. There are some holes front and rear (1-3" long) through to the outside on the drivers side. The passenger side is not rusted through but there is surface rust inside and out in the equivalent location.

It doesn't seem bad enough (to me) to merit cutting out the entire floor and it's not in the cards right now to undertake a major restoration on the floor so I'm seeking some feedback/suggestions on how best to mitigate the problem for now.

Has anyone undertaken an interim repair like this? What did you do? How would you cover it over?

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the hole in the drivers side floor pan.

Cougar 004.jpg

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Hey BLDFW, I did replace (patched) a section of floor pan, cut the piece I needed from that particular new pan.
There will be a wealth of info at the Lone Star Cougar Club meeting tonight in Irving.
Ken

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You need to probe the rust with an icepick or an awl, or whatever, and assess the real damage. That will give you more of an idea of how much floor needs to be replaced.
After knowing how much has to go, you can then plan on how to replace it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Like Andy said, PROBE with a pointed tool. Often you can get a good idea as to how bad the issue/issues are just by the sound you hear, and the feel. Rust doesn't always just do its thing in one small spot, it fans/spreads out, and the rust through is the worst part, but normally there is more close by.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Cut out all of the rust, weld in new steel. Anything else is just going to be a mess you have to spend more money to fix later.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Cut out all of the rust, weld in new steel. Anything else is just going to be a mess you have to spend more money to fix later.
What Bill said, there is really no "interim repair" with rust. You either address it ("hello rust") or you don't. Band-aid'ing it isn't going to buy you anything except perhaps to aid in the rust process. However, I suppose you could Rust Reformer it and goop it up, but the outcome later is anyones guess.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If there is rust where the floor meets the 'threshold lip', then your inner rocker (the threshold) may also have issues. The inner rocker is a structural member found on convertibles - hardtops get their added strength from the roof... So, like I said, check your inner rockers. Give them a good squeeze. I did that to one 'vert that I found for sale, and my grip literally crushed the inner rocker there was that much rust!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey BLDFW, I did replace (patched) a section of floor pan, cut the piece I needed from that particular new pan.
There will be a wealth of info at the Lone Star Cougar Club meeting tonight in Irving.
Ken
Sorry I couldn't be there for that one. I was working the late shift. You guys have a good turnout?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
What Bill said, there is really no "interim repair" with rust. You either address it ("hello rust") or you don't. Band-aid'ing it isn't going to buy you anything except perhaps to aid in the rust process. However, I suppose you could Rust Reformer it and goop it up, but the outcome later is anyones guess.
It's true, there is no interim repair. However, in the process of learning to repair rust, the first step (in my view) is to learn how to properly assess it. Generally, it's much worse than you think when you see just a couple of holes and think that's all there is. People on a message board may tell you "It's worse than you think!" but you (the rhetorical you) won't believe them, us, me, Bill, or Bob, just out of hand. You need to get in there and poke around, at which point your say "Jeebus man, there's a lot more rust here than I thought!" and you'll realize that Bill and Bob are absolutely right and can be trusted to tell you how to proceed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Going to dig a little more and see what path to shoot for. It's not really convertible weather so got time to check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts