Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on repairing the very little bit of rust that is in my trunk area. Nothing is rusted through, it's just surface rust. Well, my plan was to remove the surface rust from all the little areas and then undercoat the whole inside of the trunk and then covering that with a new mat.
Upon going to remove the rust there are a couple of spots i just can't seem to get the surface rust removed, "tight spots" i guess you could call it. Well, my question is this....as long as i get all the loose stuff off, how bad would it be to just undercoat over the rest? Could the rust still develop and worsen? There is only a minimal amount that I can't seem to get.....so what do you guys think? Help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I think it would be better to get all traces out before you undercoat. Can you get a wire brush or wire wheel on a drill to get at it, if not, find a good rust neutralizer to control it and stop it from spreading. Then go ahead and undercoat it. Just my thoughts.

Rick

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there maybe some type of liquid stuff that i could but on there to get the remainder of the surface rust off?? cuz i tried the wire brush thing and i just couldn't get into those "tight" spots i was talkin' about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi 67 couger. There is spray rust killer called ( one step ) that you should be able to get at your local auto supply store, it works good I've used it for years. If you cant get that use ( rustmort ) .
thumper

·
Registered
889 Posts
try this after

Im still in the process a little at a time, but get some POR-15 and paint it on.I will quote from here"That stuff ROCKS!!" and do glove up it dose not come off. Dan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rust

POR - 15 thats the way to go I did my whole cat front to back inside and out and under. POR - 15 is it and yes do not get it on you it will not come off for a very long time. 70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
96 Posts
rust

I also use the spray Corroless that Eastwood sells. I have found that Corroless and POR-15 are the way to go, no Naval Jelly for me. The nice thing about Corroless is that one can lasts a while. POR must be used quickly or it dries up. At the prices of these things, that makes a difference in what I buy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with these guys...the rust needs to be addressed. There's a reason that they call it "cancer". If there is only a minimal amount in the tough to reach places as you say, then try using some small chisels are picks to remove them...kind of like a dentist removing plaque. Just be careful with the hammer and you can also use a large nail for the job. It's a tedious process, but you won't be second guessing yourself down the road. Be sure to protect everything with the chemical agents recommended from above after a thorough clean up. I too would stay away from Naval Jelly...messy stuff that doesn't work too well. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay......a local auto shop was selling POR 15, so that's what i used. 2 coats of it did a really nice job. i'm happy w/the results. and since i couldn't get all the little tight spots of rust off, this should do the trick.
Thanks, guys, for the help!! Much appreciation!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've never used POR-15, but have heard nothing but positive comments about it. I have used Corroless, and it works great. One of those is the way to go.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I used coroless on the tight areas that I could not grind the rust completely off of. Like the LCA mounts and where the strut rod mounts to the chassis. Stuff works great.
Here's what ot looks like:

·
Registered
889 Posts
about coroless

Dose it come in spray and any colors ? Dan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Corroless

Comes in various sizes of cans and in a spray. You will find the spray named Corroless (made in England) or Rust Encapsulator (made in USA), both do the same thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can someone tell me how to get to the rust in the hood and trunk under the supports, etc? I see some surface rust, but don't know how to get to it. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you get your trunk done...post a pic, or at least let us know how it went!!! I have to do the same to my trunk......I'll be using POR-15. Of course i won't be doing anything until after the convertible season is over!!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the job is complete....very nicely done, i might add. I'll get a pic as soon as i head back down to the shop. Por 15 is really good stuff! Thanks guys for the advice!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The 71 XR7 Convertible. "The Green Machine"

Just wondering what shade of geen is on your car and what color is the interior. I getting ready to paint my identical car and was wondering if you have seen the original dark metallic green? Thanks, Cougaral.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used por for years with mixed results. My wife and I met this cougar couple at a swap meet selling kbs rustseal. this stuff makes por look like rustoleums weaker sister. It comes in the blacks, grey, silver, red, green and white too! It's at least 10-15% cheaper than por too. These folks also sell all kinds of cougar parts and are real nice folks. they have a website at www.cleanclassicautoparts.com or call them for parts at 513-543-7807. and the kbs site is www.kbs-coatings.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used KBS RustSeal on my 68 cougar. It was great I am a converted POR-15 user and found this stuff and it's GREAT! It's got UV protection and comes in colors! I used the Satin black Rust Seal on the 68 and the green on my JD mower. I found this stuff at cleanclassicautoparts.com when I was searching for cougar parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts