Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the export brace ( the 2 braces that go from shock tower to the lip on firewall) really needed, I have heard not really and also heard yes its needed, would like to remove just to clean up motor area on my 67 Cougar and also make it easier to get to spark plugs on my 289 and the braces really don't seem like they are all that sturdy, so what you guys think, needed or not needed

·
Registered
97 Posts
yup they are needed and there are better aftermarket units.
also look up monte carlo bar that mounts in between the two shock towers.
they help to keep things from flexing and twisting.
it don't look like much.

i bought a nice one piece unit to replace the two seperate braces.

·
Registered
980 Posts
They are needed. If you don't think so .... take them off and go drive it... Kind of feels like your driving a pancake down the road without them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 68 did not have an export brace or monte carlo bar when I bought it (who knows when the export brace disappeared) - I opted to invest in both, and they are a good investment, I think. Both bars were difficult to install, meaning the tops of the shock towers were starting to lean in a little, this additional bracing helps keep everything squared up through hard cornering. The Export Bace I ordered from WCCC was a Scott Drake and is VERY heavy-duty (http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/07041333.html)!

·
11,000 Posts
Particularly on a '67 you NEED to have the shock tower braces installed before you drive. Otherwise you can rip all the spot welds out of the front frame rails at the floor pans and firewall. Really ugly when that happens.

An aftermarket or original export brace is a bit better than the original braces of course.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes go with the export brace....I just read an engineering paper on a guy who tested a ton of different things (export braces, subframe connectors, rear seat dividers, etc) on a 67 Mustang Coupe, pretty much the same core car as our Cougars. The 3 biggest things to improve tortional stability in older chassis were 1-export brace, 2-a metal welded in rear seat divider and 3-using the 67-68 convertible seat pans instead of the individual pans. There's a lot of other things that helped but these were the core parts...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Yes go with the export brace....I just read an engineering paper on a guy who tested a ton of different things (export braces, sub-frame connectors, rear seat dividers, etc) on a 67 Mustang Coupe, pretty much the same core car as our Cougars. The 3 biggest things to improve torsional stability in older chassis were 1-export brace, 2-a metal welded in rear seat divider and 3-using the 67-68 convertible seat pans instead of the individual pans. There's a lot of other things that helped but these were the core parts...
Very interesting, do you have a link to the report?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts