Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can find the running cat valve covers and the running cat aircleaner, or a emblem of it so I can put it on my air cleaner Thank You.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I bought the Drake ones

They are AWESOME!!
John Benoit @ Cascade Classics has the oval air cleaner for $275

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
390's do not have the words COUGAR on them and as far as I know they are not available repo.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
No they dont,only small blocks :( I had a set for my fairlane that said fairlane :) When they make them for big blocks, Im getting another set for sure.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Hey Rick, I see that glass fuel filter you have there. Just a word to the wise... they break... very easily. I had one break while the car was running in the garage. It wasn't bad and I'm glad I caught it in time. My buddy wasn't as lucky and had a very bad fire in his '46 Ford Street Rod. They look cool and all but they're not safe at all. I know you're a pro-ponent for safety and will do the right thing.

Or is that the old set-up and you're not running one on the 390??

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
thanx Mark, thats an old picture. I have a 390 in now, and a plastic filter. That filter was handy when I built my motor, and used it :D It didnt last long in there. Thanx for the concern.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Running cat

The 390-428 running cat valve covers are available from several of the vendors, but they are pretty pricey depending on who you call. I bought three running cats from Vic Yarberry, I mounted 1 on a "cobra" air cleaner that my neighbor milled off the cobra lettering. I got the air cleaner on ebay for $70 and I paid $20 for the running cat, total of $90. I am doing the same thing with a pair of valve covers, and it will end up costing almost half of what the vendors wanted for the valve covers and air cleaner. I'll post pics when I finish.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a set of the reproduction valve covers with the running cat on my 428. I like the look but they are higher than the stock valve covers, and I am going to the SCJ valve covers.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
all of them :D Are the cougar ones custom made, Id like to see those mostly. Did you find snake covers???

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes. I got a set of the mexican made reproductions. The originals are just way too expensive. I'll have to get a digital photo of the running cat valve covers. I will try this weekend. I love the look, but not the added height. I could do plugs without pulling the valve covers before I put them on.

Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
By the way, these are not currently reproduced. I picked up a used set. You can get the running cat valve covers for the 428 currently. When I get around to replacing mine I will have a set for sale. Of course, it usually takes me much longet than I expect to get around to it, especially since I will do the plugs etc, put on an export brace, and paint the manifolds for a start while I am there.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
cool, you found a set. Id like a set of just the finned kind for my fairlane :D

those are very nice. great find.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts