Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone know if the rubber seal that goes around the windshield of a 68 cougar is the same as a 66-68 Mustang seal? The guy I bought my Cougar from threw in some spare parts, which included a Mustang seal. Before I got too excited I thought I'd better ask.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
front windshield is the same as a Mustang. the rear is different though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sixt9 is correct. I just did both windows on my '68 this winter and the front one came listed as Mustang/Cougar, the rear one just Cougar.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

·
11,000 Posts
The windshield is really easy to change. Think about doing your headliner while the windshield is out if needed. Get the factory shop manual and follow the directions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, both are really easy to do. I used the clothes line approach, worked very well. My only problem was that I originally didn't use the right glue on the new headliner so it tried to come loose at the lip as I pulled the gasket around. I had to go back with a putty knife and push it back in.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks Royce & Grunt Doc...I have the shop manual and I'll have a look at what is involved later tonite since the snow has returned arrrrggggghhhh!!!

Ken

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the "clothesline approach?":1zhelp:

·
11,000 Posts
It's the technique used when installing either the windshield or rear window. Basically you install the seal on the windshield, then put some heavy cord in the channel of the seal and conclude both ends at the bottom of the windshield and tie them together. You set the windshield onto the body with the lower seal over the body seam and the cord hanging into the car. With an assistant pushing on the window from outside you pull the cord out of the channel. The cord will pull the rubber seal into its correct position.

It takes a long time to explain using words but it is ridiculously easy. Anyone can install a windshield or rear window this way, no particular skill is required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts