Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might start a war but I'm not trying to do that, I just want to know what people are buying when they replace front ends and bushings in the rear too.

This is what started me thinking about this: http://www.p-s-t.com/

Thanks in advance.

Michael

·
Registered
913 Posts
I for one, stay with rubber.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought a polyurethane suspension kit from PST including control arms, stiffer coil and leaf springs with insulators and the largest front and rear sway bars they had for my '69 standard. Unfortunately, you have to use your old outer shells from your original bushings. It definitely made the car safe to drive as braking (stock disc brakes) and handing improved, but I was not completely impressed with the sqeaky front coil springs that make the car sit up too high (351W) and the made-in-China looking control arms.

I had previously heavily modified the front and rear suspension on my daily driver 1970 LTD also and bought the large front and rear sway bars, and the polyureathane bushings from PST, and plated the bottoms of my stock upper and lower control arms, as well as my rear trailing arms. I had custom front and rear springs made up, and used Moog suspension components, Billstein shocks, 17 inch custom steel rims, and put air bags in the rear coils and the results are astounding. This car with the stock front disc brakes will not lock-up and fishtail all over the place when you slam on the brakes and has surprised many a driver on the road with it's handling. The front end will also not excessively lift when you exceed 100. I would say go with polyurethane if it's a daily driver, but I would only buy the bushings from PST and get better quality control arms/ball joints somewhere else.

JAMES

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got poly sway bar, end link and idler arm bushings for my 73. They are stiffer and don't de-grade from age or oil like rubber can over the years.
I feel that stiffer sway bars or other parts don't help if the bushings holding them are soft. I drive mine to work sometimes, so I need better steering and braking to keep up with modern cars that seem to have much better suspensions, but much worse drivers. It shouldn't matter just for Sunday cruising.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts