Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am going through and replacing the mounts (engine and possibly trans) on my 68 - need to decide between rubber or urethane...
Engine is not a beast, mild built 302 with C4 transmission. The trans was rebuilt in 02, but if I go with rubber mounts, I would probably replace the trans mount for $8, just to make sure.

Thoughts? Just wondering what others are doing...seems to be a difficult topic to get valuable search results on.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Depends - rubber is much softer and forgiving but not as strong. Urethane is much stiffer and therefore produces more felt vibrations. Also in cold weather urethane tends to squeek like crazy - you can hear my truck squaking all over town this time of year since I decided to replace all of the joints with urethane ones....not one of my better decisions. If all your doing is the engine/trans you probably will be OK if it's not a daily driver. Otherwise I would opt towards OEM, and just add a torque strap for any spirited driving you may want to do.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input - I went ahead and bought the rubber mounts from my local NAPA - and the best part of it, stamped "Made in USA"! Two motor mounts and one trans mount = $36 including tax. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My rule of thumb for this is if the bushing is for vibration, go rubber, if it's for road jolts but affects handling then poly. This means rubber for engine trans and poly for pivoting items like sway bars and rear springs....although I kept the stock and brand new rubber front eye bushings on the heavy duty rear springs. One final consideration is wearing like on the upper coil insulators...poly....Any poly that pivots, slather with silicone grease and wrap the sway bar with teflon tape....etc....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts