Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I'm getting to my questions, but let me comment first)
Sometimes it's the little things that make you happy. Got a package today from MU containing (among other things) light bulbs and rubber bumpers. Replaced the missing bumpers on my decklid, inserted a new light bulb, and - ta da! - we have light and a cushioned closing! Very, very minor progress, but progress nonetheless.

Now some questions about rubber bumpers as included in the MU "set":

It includes two packages of two decklid bumpers... where would the second pair go? Do later year Cats have four bumpers?

The sun visor tips currently on the car, which may or may not be original, are about 1" long and flat. The pair in the MU kit are about 1/4" and flared. Which is correct? It's hard to tell in the assembly manual.

Does anyone repro the rear license plate door bumpers? It's not included in the set, and I don't see them individually.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The license plate bumpers should be there, I bought the same kit and they were in mine. Call the 800# and tell them you got 2 sets of trunk bumpers but no license plate bumpers and they'll send them to you. I've bought lots of stuff from them and they are awesome about customer service...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
itow said:
The license plate bumpers should be there, I bought the same kit and they were in mine. Call the 800# and tell them you got 2 sets of trunk bumpers but no license plate bumpers and they'll send them to you. I've bought lots of stuff from them and they are awesome about customer service...
OK, did that. I had to talk to three different people and none of them could find the individual part, but it was pictured in the catalog so they're going to find it and send it out.

While I'm on the subject of bumpers, my assembly manual says that there should be one on top of the center grill section (the piece with the Mercury head logo) to buffer against the hood. I don't have my manuals here so I can't give you the part number, but is that the same as any other bumper on the car? I didn't see it in the catalog, and again it wasn't included in my bumper kit (I don't think).

·
Registered
889 Posts
are the two on the hood there> you hav 2 adjustable ones in the front and 2 fixed ones at the back corner where the fender,cowl and hood come togeather.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dan said:
are the two on the hood there> you hav 2 adjustable ones in the front and 2 fixed ones at the back corner where the fender,cowl and hood come togeather.
Yes, but according to my '67 factory assembly manual, there should ALSO be a small rubber bumper on top of the center grill section. It looks like you have a '69... they may be different.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ya I do,I ordered a set from Johns mine were all rotted

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
itow said:
I got a package today with a set of "Bumper kit, hood to cowl, 69/70". It seems slightly taller than my remaining original license plate door bumper, and the screws are completely different than the originals. Is this the best there is? Or did they mess up again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts