Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here was surprised like I was when I noticed a 12/87 date
code on the front drivers side rubber brake hose! 25 years old! They still look good but I am already scheduling to get them replaced. How long should they last?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The hoses on my 67 are original and look like new. Keep in mind there is only 32k on the car. My fathers 63 Fairlane still has the OE hoses and has over 260K on it. Ford has not had the problems GM and Chrysler had with brake hoses. The problem was in the engineering not the part quality. If the hoses look good, no cracking etc. I'd leave them be because most replacements available today are more than likely cheap Chinese crap that will go to hell just sitting in there boxes.

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The 10/87 dated hose does not surprise me, it just means that one has been replaced. As for how long these hoses last, it depends on a lot of things, climate the car resides in mainly. Generally they are good until the exterior rubber jacket that you see starts cracking badly, usually at the ends by the metal parts. Sometimes the inside hose goes bad, but usually the outer goes first from exposure to the elements.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
? maybe I should rethink replacing my brake lines? I had just assumed that since they were original they should be replaced. All my other lines will be replaced but maybe I could flush the old original rubber lines and re-use them.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Harvey,

Replacing is not a bad idea, but if they look really good externally and are supple/flexible, not cracked, etc. you might do fine reusing them (IMO).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I googled brake hose life and found several sites that said maximum was 6 years! If that is true I've gotten 4 times plus the life out of these. For a living I sell rubber hoses and one of the biggest problems is UV damage but come to think of it all the hoses are always in the shade under the car. Mmmmmmmmm?????

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well they are your cars brakes afterall, being conservative, better safe than sorry, etc. is probably the best way to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A lot of good tips. However, if deep down inside you have a felling that the hoses should be replaced, then do so.Have you had gut feelings before that something wasn't right, or wrong? And you're instincts proved correct?
Hoses are inexpensive. Consult a hydraulic shop to make you some from high quality non-3rd world materials.Easy.You'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If I can get ones that are correct I would rather have new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts