Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So trying to figure out what the correct path for the spark plug wires to be routed on a 94 cougar 4.6L when they cross the engine. In some photos the wires that cross from one coil to the 2 plugs on the opposite side are run over the alternator. (I have even seen this in a service manual photo but most are under) Most photos depict the wires going under the alternator and back up to the plug.

What is the correct path from the factory? was there a reason it was changed?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Probably a question best asked on a site that caters to the 5th -6th gen cats. This site is gen 1-3. On my trucks it seems to me they route under the alt when they have the coilpacks up front, and straight to the COP when they have that setup. Couldn't' say for sure on yours.....I always lay out the new ones on the ground and pull one at a time and match it up to the closest length one on the ground as I replace them. that way I know I won't come up short on one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's I would have posted on a site that caters to newer cougars but those sites like your post stated Bad69Cat clearly state they only want to hear about 99 and newer. Completely ignoring 4th generation Cougars which mine is.

What I found is that it is more common to see the wires for the 4.6l dual coil pack to be routed over the alternator on f-150. they even have a special bracket to hold them off the alternator. (I may try getting from an f-150 at a junk yard)

So What I did was route them over the alternator using multiple wire Looms. It actually worked out great and solved my crossfire issue I was having. Plus allows for easy inspection of the ware in the future should I have the issue again.

ndtorqu. thanks for the link. they had a great diagram of how the wire were supposed to go. Interestingly the part that would go under the alternator seems to have additional wire covering over those sections of the wire. Which I don't have. And I know if I asked in my local parts store they would be like what.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts