Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased my car it has had a rough idle and lack of power... just one of many issues that needed addressing. I found the carburetor base and spacer plate gaskets leaking so replaced them. Still ran rough so tossed new points and condenser at her... no change. Performed a compression check, sure enough #4 cylinder zero compression. Oiled cylinder, no change. Yesterday I pulled the head on the right bank. Sure enough a burnt exhaust valve. What I was not expecting was every push rod was also slightly bent.... found same with the push rods on the left bank. I am guessing this motor hand sat for a very long time as you could see ring marks where they had stuck to the cylinders! Oddly there was not a tick to be heard from the motor. The cylinder walls were smooth, she does not burn a drop of oil, all other cylinders the compression was 175 to 180 psi. Lifters all were ok and so was the cam... only 47,000 miles on the car. So heads are at the machine shop for new hardened seats. Hope to have her running correctly by next week!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
0 PSI on # 4...you shure? WOW! - you should have had something worse than just a burned valve - I'd think it would still develop some pressure. Bent pushrods makes me worry that the PO may have put in a bigger cam and didn't check the valve train geometry to get the correct lenght PR's. I'd go over it an do so now that you have it appart. Also check your springs for height and seat pressure now...bet it will run much better!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry.... mind works faster than fingers (I should have reread before hitting save) ... #4 80PSI with no change in compression when oil was added. It does not appear motor has ever been apart. Good idea on the other things to check... still has original 2v intake and carb also... thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Word from the machine shop was car must have sat for a long time and valves stuck in guides thus bending the push rods, cam lifters all look good to them so for now just the heads get done. should have the heads back next week. Actually found 2 burnt exhaust valves. Can't wait to reassemble her and drive!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good deal - not so bad then! Keep the right oil in there and you should be good to go for quite sometime.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am picking up the heads today... should be back together by Wednesday!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts