Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
71 xr7 idles real rough, especially in drive sitting still, noticed when i parked it and left it running the sounds like idle is bad and noticed black smoke coming from tailpipes. Also whenever coming to a stop sounds like it wants to die. Could this be a timing issue? Also my tank is full of crud so when I get down to a 1/4 tank it acts weird, gas level was just about 1/4 tank when I noticed all this. I tired of feeling like this car is going to break down on me any day, Im about to just take it to a mechanic, but I have yet to have a good experience with any mechanic. Last time I took her to have a tune up instead of doing it myself they tried to charge me $300!!! just to change the plugs. Of course I can and will do any work myself, but I cannot figure out what the deal is with this car. It is my everyday driver and I feel like Im about to loose her. Any help would be great, I can take pictures/ videos and post if that would help. I love this car and do not want anything else! PLease help! Its like a girlfriend that Im on the verge of loosing! lol ahahahahha really though, I need some expertise on this! I know theres someone on here whos very educated on these cars and trouble shooting issues.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If there is crud in the tank, then you have a list of things that need to be done.

Replace the tank
Replace the fuel lines, hard and soft
Replace fuel filter
Rebuild the carb

It sounds like some of the crud has made its way to the carb and making it run like crap. I would do all of this, along with changing the plugs and checking the rest of the tuneup parts and checking/setting timing. The carb will need to be readjusted after the rebuild, but it is pretty easy for most carbs. I assume this is a Cleveland car?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If there is crud in the tank, then you have a list of things that need to be done.

Replace the tank
Replace the fuel lines, hard and soft
Replace fuel filter
Rebuild the carb

It sounds like some of the crud has made its way to the carb and making it run like crap. I would do all of this, along with changing the plugs and checking the rest of the tuneup parts and checking/setting timing. The carb will need to be readjusted after the rebuild, but it is pretty easy for most carbs. I assume this is a Cleveland car?
AMEN to that. Gotta be done first...then see where your at

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its a recently rebuilt 302 actually with a holley 600cfm on it, very simple carb, just finding time to rebuild it is a pain, Also I tried dropping the tank and could not figure out how to disconnect the filler neck. 5 bolts on the outside at gas cap and 4 screws int he trunk, but nothing budged. Instead of replacing the metal lines, can I clean them out some how? Compressed air? The filter is an inline glass filter which Ive already cleaned twice. Ive rebuilt a motorcraft of a 351w, super simple, and holley seems to be even easier.

Also just made new plug wires, new motorcraft plugs, new bwd dist cap and rotor button, ignition coil looks good

Just curious, being that my gauge reads 1/4 when the cars starts sputtering, more than likely its because its full of crud right? Doubt its the sending unit/float, because it would give me faulty readings. Right? Meaning bouncing back and forth as in inaccurate readings

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Youll fight it to the ends of the earth trying to get the crud out - easier to replace. Sometimes the kneck get kinda corroded/stuck and needs a bit of work to get it off. Check the float when you get it out...?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, went a head and swapped out the pcv valve for a new one and idles a whole hell of a lot better. Soon as I get the extra cash, I grab a new tank an lines and let you know how it goes with the carb rebuild

1 - 8 of 8 Posts