Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question,

is the RTOM going to be used?? I see its been locked for quite some time and just curious if it will be used.. I`m sure we got a lot of great cougars that can make the RTOM .

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Re: RTOM Question

OOHHHH you mean the ROTM ... Ride Of The Month .... Last I seen it was being "worked" on .....

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sorry meant ride of the month OOPS lol :lol:

thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

It is a great deal of work and probably not something that the owners of this forum are going to pay someone to do. I do it on the "other forum" so I know how much work is involved. It is completely free to join both forums and every one is welcome to participate.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Bill, if no one has told you thanks yet I will. You do a great job with ROTM!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Kind of off topic, but is there something we are doing wrong at the "other forum" that needs to be fixed?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

Probably none of my business as it should be up to admin and moderators to police .... Just seams very strange to me that people keep coming on this forum promoting and telling everyone to join the "other" forum ...... Are you trying to kill this one?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

This site was started by a Cougar enthusiast Logan Mcloud. He was a real Cougar enthusiast, that eventually got out of Cougars and into late model Marauders. He continued to run the site in a very passive way for several years. Eventually he was approached by VerticalScope.Com who bought the site. Logan never made it possible for the people who were doing all the posting and creating the content that made the site valuable to have any kind of chance to take over. It was his choice to make.

Now VerticalScope.Com is probably a great company and all, but this is now one of over 600 sites they own. To them this is part of a "vertical" that can be sold to various advertisers. Nothing wrong with that, they own it and they can do what they want. The question is, how long will they find value in maintaining the site? Maybe for ever, maybe until next week?

The problem with that is that the questions and answers posted here are tremendously valuable to the Cougar enthusiasts out there. For it to all vanish one day is not a happy thought. NO ONE including me wants it to be killed. I have over 5500 posts on here, many that are indepth tech instructions that have been looked at hundreds of times. I still try to help people here, but I wont invest the time to create indepth content where it could just vanish. Several of the restoration threads here are duplicated on the other site to preserve them as well.

Chances are that you have never heard of The Classic Cougar Network. It was the most comprehensive Cougar sites ever created. It had more Cougar content than you can imagine and it was something that actually got me really hooked on Cougars. It is gone now. A few bits and pieces were stolen and posted on a German site, but it was a terrible loss. We have seen this movie. Losing MC.Net would be almost as bad, but far less damaging now that it is not the only egg in the basket.

I don't see any evidence that there is any interest in this site from VerticalScope. They have done pretty much nothing since they acquired it. Maybe benign neglect is a good thing?

·
Registered
77 Posts

Bill, for me, the first answer to your question is traffic. There is more activity on MC.net, so it keeps me on this site more than CCC.

Second is participation. There's more response here when I have a question, some due to higher traffic, but I've had the impression some of the responses are from dual users (both sites) that didn't respond on CCC. (I haven't actively looked into this so my impression may be wrong.)

Which brings me to my third reason, (in my observation) 80-90% of the CCC users are here too, so the majority of the CCC content is redundant.

I still frequent CCC, and in fact go there first when checking the forums, but until they get the traffic/participation up this site will be larger.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Hat Trick, thanks for the feedback! I think that you have made some good points.

I think the amount of traffic is probably a lot closer than you might think. There are a few very active posters that are doing a great job here at MC.Net that really keep this board going. Kudos to Bob, 69XR7Vert, Bad69Cat, GT001 and YellowXR7! The New Posts button on CCC.Com only shows posts since your last visit, and nothing else. Here on MC.Net it shows any new post that you have not read so it looks like there is more going on. I have noticed that myself. Historically MC.Net did better in search but now when I do a search for Cougar Forum I am seeing CCC.Com come up first. MC.Net should do better as there are many more years of content here and Vertical Scope is said to be very good at SEO. Also, since we don't accept any advertising that puts a damper on Google Adwords and Adsense search results.

One thing that is happening is that a lot of the older content here is not easily available any more. It has been archived and about the only way to access it is to do a Google search and follow the link. DO a search for "Cougar Pertronix" or "Cougar door won't open" both really common topics for Cougar owners, and the results are for archived threads here. If they ever prune those archives so much is going to be lost...

The biggest factor for both forums is the growth of Facebook. I suspect in a few years the forums will be pretty well dead for exactly the reason you have mentioned; lack of activity. I don't see WCCC sending people to Facebook for technical help.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

...Historically MC.Net did better in search but now when I do a search for Cougar Forum I am seeing CCC.Com come up first...
Yep, if you search "Cougar Forum", CCC comes up first. But if you search "Mercury Cougar Forum"...

:buck:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Good point! I understand that different people will get different results on Google for the same search based on their history. When I search Mercury Cougar Forum the top two are MC.Net, followewed by the NewCougar site and then CCC.Com. Is that what you see? Adding the word "Classic" Changes the results as well.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Good point! I understand that different people will get different results on Google for the same search based on their history. When I search Mercury Cougar Forum the top two are MC.Net, followewed by the NewCougar site and then CCC.Com. Is that what you see? Adding the word "Classic" Changes the results as well.
Yes Bill, exactly what I see/saw. I (of course!) tried the "Classic" thing as well. Not that I pay any attention to these things at all, but if I had a website I can certainly see how these would be important things to know/watch/monitor! Hope all is well!

·
Registered
936 Posts

Very interesting thread and Bill does a great job laying out the history. Some thoughts come to mind: 1. I wonder how much Vertical scope wants for this site.
2. If a 501c3 were created to manage a single site, could enough money be raised to keep as the principal such that the maintainance of the site could be funded by the monies made from the investment of the funds, so that the site could live on in purpetuity?

I am a volunteer member of a Foundation that operates just this way, and the monies it gets from its investments allows it to fund its projects.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

I would be willing to donate the CCC.Com site to a non profit. I have stipulated that from the beginning. I had contacted Logan several times about this site before he sold it. He was making it very clear that it was a hassle that he didn't need but he would never talk to me about putting something together. Maybe Vertical Scope would sell but they are very very hard to get in touch with.

Just for clarity, I am not trying to take this site down. There is just too much good stuff here that should not be lost. The two sites can compliment each other. The biggest problem that both sites are faced with is Facebook. Facebook is easier to post pictures to and they know how to push content. What is wrong with face book is that you can't do any sort of detailed tech stuff. An example is this thread: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?13372-Pertronix-ignition/page2&highlight=pertronix+installation

1 - 20 of 37 Posts