Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 45-50 mph n up i get a small but noticeable vibration that sounds like some sort of rotation. no idea what it is

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
First thing to check is the rubber motor and transmission insulators/supports.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I don't recognize that crossmember, definitely not from a Cougar.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
balanced the wheels and the noise has quit a lot quieter. but still there, no where as bad though, my back tires are a little dry rotted on the tread, looks like maybe new tires?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I know i've had some noise (not vibration) go away with a good grease job. Some grease cups arent obvious in their emplacement.

just an opinion.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Have you checked the U-joints?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
you need to do more testing---does the vibration appear @ the same rpm or speed---how about going downhill in neutral--if its there all the time , its probably driveline (joints , out of balance ect) . if it is rpm related then i'd look a bad balancer or converter
personally , i'd have the shaft checked for balance , install new joints , and check for u-joint angl phasing

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
balancer or converter? sorry im somewhat new at drive line stuff, guess im going to just pull drive shaft and replace the u joints. how do i check if its balanced correctly?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so this morning paying close attention on the ride to work i noticed that this vibration is definitely coming from the front, i feel it in the steering wheel and the dash vibrates, i rode with my hand on the center floorboard and did not feel any abnormal vibration coming from the drive shaft. Also noticed this morning whenever i applied the brakes, the dummy brakes light would come on. I just im going to pull the wheels and see if the rotors spin freely or if a bearing is bad, i have no idea what else on the front end would be causing this

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good idea - may as well pack them while your at it anyways....If they look OK then try dropping the d-shaft out and look at the u-joints that way. It can be very tough to tell how good they are when attached. I just went through this with the bro-in-laws truck - looked OK but after it was out the thing flopped around like a fish on one side. It still has a growl we haven't ID'd yet but the vibration went away after new joint.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Even though the tires are balanced they may be out of round. Swap the tires/wheel front to rear and see if it makes any difference.
You check the driveshaft balance by having it checked at a driveshaft shop.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why would the brakes dummy light come on? whenever i apply the brakes it comes on and stays until a second or two after i let off

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ohh yeah and the back and front tires are two different sizes, dont know how i would check if the tires were out of round, the front 2 are new

1 - 20 of 50 Posts