Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive replace both lower control arms, sway bar links, new tires, balanced, aligned, new brakes, new drive shaft, u-joints, checked front wheel bearings, they were good, regreased them, AND IM GOING INSANE!!!! I feel it in the steering wheel and the dash vibrates. This is a little video maybe someone can diagnose this! [video]http://s475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/tankravenjetta/?action=view¤t=VID_20111103_105603.mp4[/video]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does it happen at a certain rpm? torque converter?????

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not certain rpm, just certain speed, use to be between 50 and 60 but now its got to the point that any speed over 50 and it happens, ITS SOOOOOO ANNOYING!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
New driveshaft you say ? Why ? I'd suspect an out of balance situation maybe in the new shaft. Any reason you can't reinstall the old one just to test out this theory ?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
FWIW, the video does not illustrate the problem that I could see/hear.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Harmonic balancer would be rpm related.
I agree the video does not show much, especially in the rain.
Did you check tie rods, center link, idler arm, and steering box? I hate to say this but it sounds like you may just be throwing parts at it at this point. Did it really need all the parts you replaced?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new drive shaft was balanced and new joints put on, I dont know what it needs Ive just been replacing parts as I have the money to. As far as the video goes, Its hard to actually get the vibration noise recorded. Thought maybe you'd be able to see the steering wheel vibrate or the dash. Tie rod ends are good, the boots are busted but I have new ones, I just had an alignment and they said everything was fine.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You can pick up the vibe noise at about :30
You can see it in the spoke of the steering wheel too.

It's a harmonic in the steering somewhere. Something is out of phase. My car did this for a while too.
Things to check:
Tires: If you bought cheapo or mid line tires, they can be out of round which will cause this.
Harmonic balancer: The engine can get into a beat frequency with the car if it has its own vibration internally. It'll make a harmonic in the car at higher speeds. Faster= more vibe
Wheel trueness: I had a wheel that was bent from driving like a teenager and it would "bounce" which turned into a harmonic at speed.
Alignment: Not all alignment techs and equipment are created equal.
Driveshaft: This would include the u-joints. U-joints are not meant to be installed with the torque of a head bolt. If you didn't take care to properly install them, you could have distorted them.
Axle: One of the axle shafts could be slightly bent. Remove them and check them on at flat surface or with a straight edge. check the axle bearings too.
Unibody: If the unibody is tweaked from a crash, rust, whatever, it can put the 4 corners of the car out of phase with one another. This can make alignment, vibrations, and setting up the chassis correctly maddening.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
in a post earlier this year , i had a long run vib problem that turned out to be the rotors---a new pair of ssb rotors were more than 40 grams out each---the after market (napa) were about 35 grams out---i sent the ssb rotors back to summit and used the money to balance the stock rotors--by the way , 40 grams is equal to a 1/4 dia steel about 5 " long---have your good automotive machine shop do a quick static check to confirm----we bent the rods in half and intalled them from the center in the rotor cooling slots---pull them back together and tack weld the rods together---by installing the from the center out , the centrifical force keeps them from flying out
doctordesoto

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah...just went through this same thing with my Triumph tr6...New rotors fixed it. Of course it was the last thing I thought of too. Also something to consider that I see above too is the the wheels may be bent slightly. Had a car do that many years ago and finally figured out is was bent wheels...of course after I changed everything else out too.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Let us know what you find....you didn't mention tires at all - would be suspect though. You could try anything off a ford that has known good ones if you have that available....just to troubleshoot. Driveshafts are hard to troubleshoot unless you drop it and check it that way - just wiggling it by hand doesn't usually show "bad"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Another thing to add to I just thought...try the tires, they may have flat spots from sitting for too long. They will balance but still have flat spots. My Tr6 has flat spots (very small) and over 65 MPH I can feel a small vibration. You can rotate the wheel tire assembly and usually see flat spots. Hope this stuff helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tires are new bf goodrich 225 70 14s, I pulled the drive shaft and had a new one made balanced and new joints fron Nashvilles longest running driveshaft shop, everyone told me to go to the guy and he did a damn fine job, this morning when I tried starting the the cat got a nice grinding sound and then nothing would ever happen, jacked her up and found that somehow my damn starter bolts had backed out? wth!? tightened down and started right up, i metnion this because upon doing so I noticed my passenger side motor mount was craked! looks brand new but is cracked! awesome! guess ill be replacing it as well. Also Ive had this ongoing problem whenever I warm her up in the morning that she is loping real bad, to the point where she dies, if I dont stay on the gas. Noticed that inside the carb the front two spraying nozzles?(jets?) after a few second will drip gas and this is causing the bogging and loping, so I just bought a carb repair/trick kit. lets hope this solves that issue, also during this exam, I am leaking coolant from somewhere but I cannot pinpoint it, not from hoses, doesnt appear to be from water pump but I have fluid on the ground to block spot and dripping down the harmonic balancer!!! When will it stop!!!! ahahahhahahaahahhaahaha

·
Registered
168 Posts
I feel your pain!Had a similar problem that the dash and steering wheel would vibrate as soon as i hit about 50 then would go away about 70 was driving me crazy! come to find out it was the play in the tail shaft bushing on the c4 automatic now it all smooth just hear the flow masters humming! lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been following this thread all along. I have a similar issue. I've worked through everything from harmonic balancer to rear axles. Today I took a ride on a country road and tried something different. First I drove at a steady 60 mph and listened carefully to the steady harmonic vibration sound. Then I slowed down a bit & downshifted the C-4 to 2nd gear and accelerated back to 60 mph. The 18" Magnaflows were singging a sweet tune! The vibration, however, was now much faster and the sound was a much higher pitch. I believe that in my case, the problem must be engine or torque convertor related. I offer this to those still dealing with such problems and ask others if my logic makes sense. Any input is appreciated. Oh, for the guy in PA with a 67 - 390 / 3speed, I'll swap ya any day :)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well, sounds like you got the carb issue worked out from the other thread now, so did you find the coolant leak? Sounds like the water pump or gasket thereto needs a good inspection. Also there are a few smaller freeze plugs in the front of the heads I think....see if any are begining to show signs of leakage (rot)

What happens when you kick it into neutral when the vibration starts? Cna you feel it in the brake pedal if you touch it lightly?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts