Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back, I had some questions about roof rust. Seen here: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49093-Roof-rust.-Woo!

I have since obtained a a roof. I've been dodging getting it done because I'm too poor to pay someone to do it and I'm too nub to do it myself. I have recently found experienced help that does this stuff for the thrill of it.

The reason why I'm pushing this now is because we had a pretty nasty storm here today. On my drive home, I got drenched hardcore. The flaky chunks of rust that I considered a roof aren't sticking together the way they used to. :lol: This must not be tolerated.

I can't decide what would be the best course of action. If the frame is okay, should I just leave it alone and focus on what's on the outside? I feel that cutting the frame (if it's okay) is going to be an unnecessary risk.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get pissed on again. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would just skin it if i were you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replied to the first thread you posted with a few pictures of my car before the re-skin. I had mentioned that I had almost zero bodywork experience, very little sheetmetal welding experience, but lots of time. I have done a lot of welding from time to time on heavier metal though.
It took me approx. 50 hours to remove 2 roofs and install 1. I ended up leaving about 70% of the drip rail on the donor skin due to the fact that it was about to fall off of my car.
Good Luck.

Chris

Before:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...pictureid=2264
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...pictureid=2265
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...pictureid=2266
During:
DSCF9124.jpg DSCF9128.jpg DSCF9130.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That does sound like the best course of action. I couldn't imagine that whole process taking more than 3 days. Cleaning, treating, welding, etc.

I promised myself a day of rest, but I totally broke it. I ripped off the vinyl. My findings are pictured below.

I'm going to apply a thin coat of bondo over the whole mess until I get my grubby hands on some welding supplies. Shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

I don't want to get wet again. :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
my jaw is still on the floor. wow. if it were me, i'd find another roof.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a replacement roof to work with. I've done some reading on the subject of welding and car roofin'. I also have good help. :smoke: I just need to cobble up the funds for the gas, chemicals, and anything it takes to make sure I won't be doing this again for a very long time. Making sure I have a healthy amount of time and finding a good place to do it is another factor. I could do it outside, but the weather needs to be just right.

Applying bondo to this situation is a temporary fix, meaning just a few weeks. I'd rather not get SOAKED in the meantime.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you're about to see might be disturbing. This is is my temporary fix. Waaay temporary.

I'm going to touch it up tomorrow and slap some bs paint on it. Honestly, I like that white on top, black on the bottom look.

I've seen a similar paint job on here before, but I can't remember where. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Here we go:

·
Registered
210 Posts
thats alot of bondo, at least you can drive in the rain now. :zap:

from what i can see its not bad....well, not as bad as it was.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's about a gallon on there. It doesn't look EXTREMELY terrible as is, but I'm not satisfied.

I'm gonna give it a good sanding tomorrow, then slap some crappy ass outdoor latex paint with a roller. I'd like it looking semi-presentable, not like a pile of bondo. It's all temporary, so perfection isn't a must.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
my jaw is still on the floor. wow. if it were me, i'd find another roof.
I have already tripped over my bottom lip and had to sit down!... I have never seen a classic Cougar roof that was rusted so extensively. Good idea on the temporary bondo fix. Hopefully there will be some good structural metal to weld the replacement top to. Best of luck with your restoration efforts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I'll ask: If the roof is that bad, how rusty is the rest of the car?
I really need a laugh. Thanks. :evil:

The inside of the trunk is a nightmare, probably because water has been leaking in from the holes under the vinyl. The water then runs down and contributes to holes at the bottom of the quarter panels. That's all getting fiberglass. I've seen a couple of cars that had that trunk problem fiberglassed, and it didn't seem bad. Not an eyesore and totally solid.

..and katnip, the frame and all of that is ducky. Skin skin skin.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ill bite, NO GLASS ON THE LOWER! personally i have found fiberglassing is only a bandaid, unless its completly clean and rust free, it will come back with a vengance! personally i would of used the fiber glass method on the roof as its more flexable than bondo . i know all the roof efforts are temporary. just my 2 cents! justin

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Is the car an Ecat, or maybe a S, Q or R code? If not maybe consider a WCRFS (west coast rust free shell)? I know some people like to toture themselves with the ECI routine, but at some point you have to be realistic.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Does your Cougar have some sort of sentimental value? If not unless I just enjoyed trying to save it I would seriously consider looking for another project car. You're going to end up sinking thousands of hard earned dollars into that car.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Uh, why don't you just cut the roof off and weld the new one on.
Seriously, man. It's not like you need a clear day for it. It's outside all the time and getting rained on anyway. Brace the body, cut, remove, and weld.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shaman, you have a point. I just over think things. :)

68XR7GT390, it has some sentimental value. :) It's my second car to call my own and my first project car. It will not take thousands of dollars to make this thing cosmetically acceptable and long lasting. I never have to pay for a service. I do it all myself with occasional help from a friend. The money goes to parts and supplies, and even then, I know people with a wide array of tools.

There is nothing daunting about this task, and it doesn't have to be expensive to be done right. Even if I wanted to walk away from this leaving it as is, I'd do more than simply break even on it.

I'm on a MISSION.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
WELL, There's projects cars and then there's PROJECT cars! lol --- I agree with Andy, get yourself some long weldable steel and try to find a few weldable spots to brace it up (looks like theat may be tough?) so that when you break out the sawsall everything will stay in place. It's a pretty major undertaking as the A and C pillars are the critical structural points for the entire body. I would have to tip my ECI hat to you.....I'd look for a better body personally. You got Moxy my friend!....Don't let anybody take that away! ;>) Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I thought the pin holes in my cat were bad. I would cut the whole roof off and install a replacement roof off a donor car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts