Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ronzoni here,

Just finished up installing a set of 1.6 ratio summit roller rockers. Summit kinda sorta maybe says that they are made by Crane, but who knows.... they are nice, extruded type rockers, blue anodized, (like anyone can see them!) at a great price. I already had the 3/8" thread-in studs, and some big 1.550" dia. triple springs, so mine was just a bolt on operation. I used the el-cheapo budget eliminator chrome Moroso tall valve covers, cleared everything but in the baffle areas, and then some minor "fabrication" of the baffles took care of that too.

I'm pretty happy with the results, except for the fact I am no longer able to run my cast aluminum "Ford Motorsports" valve covers I just spent 10 hours painting/polishing. I used the darker Ford engine blue in the low spots and between the fins, really accented well with the other blue engine bits under the hood. I'd probably sell em' off if someone was interested and the price was right.

My cam is a 0.560 lift single grind unit, and I was running the TRW non-roller rockers. Broke one of the rockers in half a couple weeks ago, looked like there was an imperfection in the casting, but thats when I decided enough was enough. Who needs to peel off a cam lobe because of high spring pressures right?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I here ya, I kept breaking rockers in my '68 with a 302 with a comp cam with .523 lift and 236 duration @ .050. I put in the comp cams roller tip rockers and they work great. Best of all I can still put my original valve covers on!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ron I'm sure the Summit rockers will be fine and trouble free. Hey we are sure somebody in the business made them for em.

I dont know how they are in price any more but the Harland Sharp rollers used to be on the lower end of the price scale and I have used them before with great success. I had a set of them on my 377 w with a .605" solid lifter Crower. Dont remember spring pressures but they were quite stiff. I run it at 7-7500 for 2 seasons in my late model and never had a rocker problem. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I looked at the Comp Cams roller tipped rockers, they were more dough and didn't have the roller fulcrums. Comp cams does make some with roller fulcrums too, but they were really a lot of dough.

As far as practicality goes, the roller tip only is such a giant leap better than stock, that the jump up to roller fulcrum and tip is "small". But then again, the drag racing world is all about the "small" stuff. Those guys that are really hard core are fanatics about pounds and more horsepower. Just look at a Summit catalog sometime.

Ron.

PS: Mark, I looked at the Harland Sharps', I wanted them, and they were priced right, but were still more than the Summit units. Trying to keep things under control with the expenditures, you can really go ape shi* with buying all this stuff if you don't watch it. My wife has really been getting into all this drag race stuff, so I got that going for me, all it costs me is buying her a T-shirt every now and then. I kid around about her, but she sure puts up with a lot of bull with me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts