Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a roll bar in a 69 Convertible? Can anyone recommend a vendor and or brand? Thanks..Michelle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

ok now would the one on your 70 be the same one for me to use? also am i reading it right, is it just for looks?...M

PS thanks for the link

·
Registered
183 Posts
Michelle,

Yes the same bar is used for the 69 and 70. Except for a few cosmetic differences, these cars are identical. And yes they are for safety first, even bolt ins, and they make the car look better as a second feature, in my opinoin. :)

Kirk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kirk,

Do you think they would fit a 70 hardtop? Since I'm fixing mine to race, I've been looking for a roll bar. I would weld it on place. Would it go through the rear seat?

RayJ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input

I was wanting it mainly for safety, but it will look cool! I have a coworker who welds and I would have him install it, can you post pics of yours in the 70 converitble? Did you have any issues as far as the bar blocking anything...basically since you have gone through this...can you advise on placement. Oh and which bar did you use there are several on the website...Thanks alot for all you help...this site rocks!!!!!

Michelle

·
Registered
183 Posts
Michelle,

The rollbar you need is the one stated for the convertible. I will post the exact link for you right here. They are pretty straight forward with little or no fabrication required. You do have to cut through the quarter piece of your interior wher it bolts to the frame on the upper bar. Most people including myself will then use window lace to go over where you cut out a spot to make it look "professional" afterwards. Look at this picture and you can see how the rollbar looks, barely lol.

http://www.overtonphoto.com/Images/ckdec03.jpg

http://www.cobranda.com/GetItemDetail.asp?ItemID=3303&CatID=375&DeptID=13

As for RayJ, If I were you I would buy one of the 6 pointers from Competition Engineering. I think they are less than $200. When I had my 69 Superstreet Mustang (hardtop) I bought one and bought some extra tubing. I bent the rear tubes so they went through the rear window valance through the speaker holes. You were able to get in and out of the car pretty easy and the backseat was not effected at all.. Just my opinoin of course.. This would also save you alot of money I think.

Kirk

·
Registered
965 Posts
How is entry to the back seat, any problems with the roll bar being in the way?

Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMHO I would go to a fab shop and have one custom made.
A good shop can make it look good and be safe for cheap.
There are lots of shops in CA if you need some names I could find some contact info for you. What area of CA are you in?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got these names off another board (4x4) to try.

MIT
Fabtech
Hanson Machine - 619 449 7832

1 - 17 of 17 Posts