Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body know if and where I can find rocker panels and or the retaining clips for a 1969XR-7 Convertable.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you mean the clips for the moulding or the actual rocker?? i know the clips show up on Ebay alot and they are available through some of the vendors out there. lots of NOS clips around for reasonable prices still.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Scour the junk yards, ebay, or any of the vendors for good used rocker panel moldings. Nobody makes reproductions of them (Somebody PLEASE PLEASE Make them!!!!!!!) BTW many of them had a screw hole put in by the dealership, seems they popped loose, so don't expect to find them perfect!

Tim B

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
oh, my beautiful Sport Special ones have a few screws in them as well. eew. not much i can do about it though. if i find ok rocker mouldings, i shall buy them and sell them to yall with the deep pockets :D he he. the ones i see all the time are usually bent at 90 degree angles by the time i get there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
trim clips

Igot some trim clips from a body shop supply store.I needed some for my trunk.I took te clip with me.They didnt mak it any more but he had some metal ones that GM used on thier cars.they werent identical but they fit and worked eve better tan the plastic ones. Dan

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
METAL GM CLIPS

THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD, CHEAPER FIX AS THE PLASTIC LOWER ROCKER CLIPS ARE NOT EASILY AVAILABLE..THEY DO SHOW UP ON E-BAY FROM TIME TO TIME AND RUN ABOUT $60 FOR A SIDE. THE METAL; ONES MIGHT BE OF USE TO ALL OF US. SEND A PICTURE OF ONE INSTALLED ON A 69/70 COUGAR AND WHERE WE CAN ALL GET THEM.. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
clips

I will take a picture now I have to take Prom pics tonite so the film will be in.I got them at wolfs body shop supply. got a whole box of 30 for 19.00.Someold timer took my old one and matched it up as cose as he could as long as the clip cant spin when you put it in the track and the two wires are on each end it should work. Dan

·
Registered
889 Posts
this might help until pic is posted

I still have the box the label reads-BODY MOLDING T-BOLT 10X24 X 3/4 BOLT 2 1/2 LONG CLIP CHEVROLET AND BUICK I hope this helps I can replace those plastic ones tat are all broke. Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was inspired by Dan's idea of replacing the plastic rocker panel molding clips. A result of several days of intensive searching turned this up.

There is an outfit in Texas, Mr G's Enterprises (http://www.mrgusa.com/index.html) that has many different types of fasteners (they also do interior re-chrome). If you look under fasteners there is a section for “mould clips (metal type).” I am guessing that the molding t-bolt that you adapted from chevy/buick can be found there. They have several with the dimensions you gave (10X24 X ¾). I am attaching a picture to see if any look familiar. I need some for my 69, so I am hoping you can provide some guidance on this potential source.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
trim clips

The parts/body supply store I go to has just about any trim clip you could ever want. What is the dimension you need?

Now, as for the moldings themselves, GOOD LUCK! I found out that the pair of NOS rocker moldings for my 73 I have stashed away are worth a small fortune!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cougrrcj's offer

Cougrrcj,

I am interested in trying something that has the potential to last longer and be more rigid than the standard plastic clips. I spent many years fighting the rocker molding on my 68 and hope to find a better solution for my 69. My trim pieces are both original and in great shape. It is just a matter of getting them attached so my big feet or other incidental contact doesn't knock them loose. Although I have not taken one off the car to get all the exact dimensions, I would estimate that the plastic clip is less than 1" wide and about 3 1/2" long (the width of the molding). The molding has a lip at the top and bottom that the clip catches and holds. I believe that there a 6 clips between the ends of the molding (one screw at each end). I was trying to find a match for what Dan indicated was from GM (BODY MOLDING T-BOLT 10X24 X 3/4 BOLT 2 1/2 LONG CLIP). I was also wondering about the length of the part he suggested, but my rough measurement may be off.

·
Registered
889 Posts
clips I used

those clips I put up on the screen were for the trim on the trunk.If it has the same kind of lip that the trunk molding has then hopefully all you have to do is look for a longer one.Good luck and happy hunting Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts