Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rocker Panel stamping numbers -- unsolved "W6" & date mysteries ( 69 Conv. )

Here's the deal. We are working on a video about "matching numbers" and also getting into the meaning of date codes and part numbers and tags and so on. One slight mystery we're trying to solve has to do with the stampings on the undersides of the rocker panels.

Using Don's 69 CJ convertible as an example, here are the numbers.

We have a C9WB3 part number which is fairly self explanatory. 1969 Cougar specific, B probably referring to it being a body part.

Also there is a date of 9 20 D2 (Sept. 20, presumably 1968, Dearborn 2nd shift)
(The car itself was assembled in March '69)

The 76 means convertible Cougar.

And the W6 means...........? We don't know.

Some additional research:

I went to the wrecking yard today to investigate the two '69 convertibles we have. Unfortunately neither had door tags because Scott has a door tag fetish, but we can get a rough idea of the dates from the VIN sequential numbers.

First off, Don's car for a starting point:

9F94R557107 (sched. build date 3/19/69, actual date 3/24)
Rocker date stamp 9 20 D2

-Now the other two-

9F94S557420 (pretty close to Don's!)
Rocker date stamp 8 2 D2 (what the? a month and a half earlier, for a later car?)
Also, there is no W6 stamp on this one.

9F92H516006 (significantly earlier)
Rocker date stamp 9 19 D2 (one day before Don's car??)
And on this one there IS a W6 stamp.

From this data, we infer that, since there weren't a ton of 69 convertibles, they did limited runs of body parts, and they must have sat around for several months before being used. Also the W6 must have appeared sometime between August and September '68. Another observation -- they are all D2. Coincidence, or...? Also, the D is always backwards, at least from this sampling.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Re: Rocker Panel stamping numbers -- unsolved "W6" & date mysteries ( 69 Conv. )

LOL! Scott has a door tag fetish... Good work Andrew. So, you 69 vert owners, please do poke your head under your cars and chime in!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Re: Rocker Panel stamping numbers -- unsolved "W6" & date mysteries ( 69 Conv. )

May 7th production date, I got's the W6! 9 20 D8 (D is backwards). 9F94H569860

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

Early 69 XR7 convt. - 9F94Q502794 - built 9/13/68. Stamped: 65 (!) W4 c9wb 8 28 D2 (D reversed).

Late 69 XR7 Convt. - 9F94H578178 - built 6/6/69. Stamped: 76 W6 c9wb 8 2 D2 (D reversed)

·
Registered
304 Posts

I know this is about convertibles but you made me look at mine. (not a conv.) Only because the vins and build dates are real close to mine 9F91H564... build in april 65 W4 C9W no other #'s. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

May 7th production date, I got's the W6! 9 20 D8 (D is backwards). 9F94H569860
You sure that's not a D3? Can't see how there'd be 8 shifts in a day :bloated:

Early 69 XR7 convt. - 9F94Q502794 - built 9/13/68. Stamped: 65 (!) W4 c9wb 8 28 D2 (D reversed).
So... was this originally a hardtop, converted into a vert? Weird...

Looks like hardtops got W4 and verts got W6, but the mystery of what they mean remains.

Also good to get some more evidence that these panels were made around the same time (August-Sept 68) and were used for a long time after that.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

Looks like hardtops got W4 and verts got W6, but the mystery of what they mean remains. Thanks for the input!
Since we are entertaining the idea that W4 was HT´s and W6 was for verts, could it be that the rockers marked with W6 had thicker steel, more rigid etc since they are on verts ?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

You sure that's not a D3? Can't see how there'd be 8 shifts in a day :bloated:

So... was this originally a hardtop, converted into a vert? Weird...

Looks like hardtops got W4 and verts got W6, but the mystery of what they mean remains.

Also good to get some more evidence that these panels were made around the same time (August-Sept 68) and were used for a long time after that.

Thanks for the input!
I think we need more data. My car is a factory convt., and (as far as I can tell) these are the original rockers. My build date was a Friday the 13th, so.... who knows?

·
Registered
839 Posts

For Reference, the 69 Mustang Grande Hardtop we just brought in is Stamped 65 and Z4. the 65 Specifying Hardtop and Z specifying Mustang. the Code 76 specifies a Convertible Rocker, but since Cougar and Mustang were built on the same line, the 76 W6 told the Worker he was looking at a Cougar Specific Rocker, if it was just coded 76, he wouldn't know whether it was Mustang or Cougar. I have a feeling a 69 Mustang Convertible Rocker would be coded 76 Z6. Just thoughts.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts