Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone used Mustang rockers to cut patch panels for the cougar? Mine are bad just in front of the rear wheels and I was wondering if the Mustang is close enough to cut patches from. thanks, kelly

Forgot to say 1967 Cougar

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes, we used a complete outer panel on the drivers side; wasn't long enough so we patched it in from the rear wheel forward. One thing we discovered when we started fitting the rocker mouldings; the curve at the rear wheel is not the same. So my bodyman/painter had to rebuild that end of the rocker.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it sounds like your saying that even if it had been long enough the shape was not right at the rear wheel? Just as well try to fab something rather that cut the rear section from a mustang rocker?

·
Registered
726 Posts
So it sounds like your saying that even if it had been long enough the shape was not right at the rear wheel? Just as well try to fab something rather that cut the rear section from a mustang rocker?
Yes, that's correct. Seems the Mustang is shaped a bit different at the wheel opening. However, if your Cougar doesn't have rocker mouldings, then you'd never notice the diference. It's just that with the mouldings, the curve is different than the rocker and would have been noticeable.

BTW, just noticed you said 1967; might not be the same problem as '69.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm interested in knowing whether the front of the rear bottom quarter panel (behind the wheel) from a 69 Mustang would fit. I probably only need a 6 inch square piece, but you never know until you start cleaning things up.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So has anyone successfully used 67 mustang rockers to repair 67 cougar for the area just in front of the rear wheel?

·
Registered
980 Posts
So has anyone successfully used 67 mustang rockers to repair 67 cougar for the area just in front of the rear wheel?
I am sure there is someone that has done that before...but they may be mumbling and counting their toes now. Rockers can be a PITA to fix if it doesn't go right the first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts