Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Armada, and had great success stiffening up the front sway bar with 4:1 foam insulation can. I have both rockers fully cleaned of the mouse-house fabric in the fronts, and figure the inner cavity of the rocker that's the widest would be good candidates for the foam to help stiffen up the ride. I have the rear wheel wells off, and everything is stripped, so should be able to see it filling up nicely. I'll put screws in place where I can, and tape elsewhere. Wondering if anyone else has had positive results, and tips on technique. Thanks, Eric.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just a bit of a precaution, the stuff expands more than you might think. It probably wont be a problem in an area like that, since it is strong because of the contours, but it could cause the metal to warp. I put some of the stuff in the inner structures on my truck, like the A-pillars and header panel and roof bows. Once the excess finally stopped flowing out and it started to set, it caused my roof to buckle like crazy. I had to go back and cut as much of it as I could out to get rid of the warping. It didnt effect the A-pillars, but they are very tight contours and are very strong. Like I said, I doubt it will do anything to the rockers, but wanted to share my experience with the stuff.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My brother bought a 75 VW Super Beetle that someone sprayed the insulation into some cavities - what resulted was a lot of work for my brother as he had to cut out the panels due to rust. The insulation allowed moisture to collect and sit between it and the body panels....just the experience my brother and I have had with it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Is this special foam or is it like the stuff I know as "Great Stuff"? I had no idea aerosol can foam could add structural strength.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ive seen it used as well, and seen it cause problems by trapping moisture as stated above. Also, it will expand quite a bit and with some force, again as stated above.... a few years back a buddy of mine did it to his civic to get rid of rattles in the rear seat panel areas and it caused the exterior sheetmetal to warp and bow out and reveal bondo repairs from the previous owner....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts