Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the plastic blocks which rivet to the body where the rocker moulding attaches. Some of mine are too worn to secure the moulding. I'm not going to lose one (I don't think) but this is one part I'm having trouble locating. Does anyone have examples in good enough condition to reuse? Or, do I need to call someone like John Baumann for them?

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I knew i should of removed those from my parts cars before they left. ray will probably have some or any of the vendors in our links section if no one has a set for ya.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
These come up one e-bay from time to time. Be aware, these can be expensive for a piece of plastic. I would reccomend you remove the rocker and check it for straightness. The front has a metal clip bolted thru at the base of the splash shield. The rocker has got to be almost perfectly straight and the inner edges even so the clips will hold.
The clips don't rivet on, as the factory used posts similar to the window trim posts. So don't drill them out. They remove by sliding the bottom sideways and then up & off. Hope this helps

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My local parts store caters to the bodyshop crowd. As such it has listings for most of the WAPS. (Sorry, that's a Ford acronym for mouldings and such that come With Attachment Parts) Find a shop in your local area that also caters to the bodyshops and I'm sure they can fix you right up.

As an aside, my buddies that work at a local Ford dealer have a large supply of WAPS from cars that come through the body shop. They have literally buckets of WAPS. If you can give me a measurement and picture of one of your good ones, maybe we can match you up with one.

Milo

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the helpful comments. The body shop guy is the one who told me they were worn out, and he is the one who originally removed them. Based on the fact the RH rocker moulding (it appears to straight) is not fully attached in the middle, I didn't question.

I also wasn't aware they were held on by their own posts. The body shop told me they riveted them back on, so the posts must be gone. I'll likely have to rivet on any replacement.

My question is, how difficult is it to remove the moulding without damaging it? I should be able to just lift up the top edge of the moulding and have it come off? Thanks.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
removal

69 or 70 have a screw, and the fronts have a clip w/ a bolt & nut at the front of the rocker, behind the splash shield. Lift from the bottom using a stiff putty knife, prying down& out. It's been awhile since I've done these.

·
Read Only
241 Posts
I HAVE TWO NICE SETS . 5 TWO EACH SIDE 10 IN A BAG IN EXCELLENT CONDITION ONE SET OF 10 FOR 50.00 . CATMANDO. RUN A 67 GT 390 C6 TRANS 9" 411 REAR & 70 ELIMINATOR 351 4 SPEED .430 9" REAR

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Catman,

Let me think about this. I don't need the full set (at least I don't believe so). I'll have to first pull the rockers to see what is required.

Steve C.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts