Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some people have no respect for their work. body shop screwed a #12 sheet metal screw into my drivers side rearview mirror toasting the rivnut in my door. UGH

so any ideas how to remove/replace rivnut? i remember a post how to set a rivnut without a rivnut tool but my mind is full of way too many useless facts to remember or to have printed it out.

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Can it be re-tapped? Not sure how to extract those without puckering the hole on the door.
My Mustang had one that was pulled out when someone went Medieval on the mirror (way before I got the car). I hammered and dollied that section flat, and installed a new Rivnut.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What Scott said, I would try to re-tap first, the correct thread being 10-24 (not 10-32!). If that does not work, you should be able to drill the rivnut out. Start with a drill that just fits into the hole in the rivnut before the threads start. Then, use progessively larger drill sizes going up in the smallest increment you can (the next size in the drill index) until the inside part (where the threads were) falls away. At that point the top "washer" part should come off easily (besides any paint holding it in place).

As for setting the new rivnut, you can do it without a tool but it is not easy. I would not recommend it for anyone but those who are really good at finesse operations.

Having said that, here is an relatively inexpensive tool, this is what I use:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#96349A203 McMaster is in NJ, with shipping you should be able to have this in your hands for around $35.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
a # 12 is about .224 dia where a # 10 is .190---i'd try retapping first---second would be to use a long # 10 screw and put a nut on it from inside the door---third finding 10-24 jackson head screws is near impossible (jackson head # 10 screw has a # 8 head )--i cut back the backside (41 deg) of the head of some 10-24 s/s screws for the drivers door and put the pass mirror on with 10-32 rivnts cuz i had them and modified the screw heads to match----the std # 10 screw head is too big for the c'sink in the mirror base
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
a # 12 is about .224 dia where a # 10 is .190---i'd try retapping first---second would be to use a long # 10 screw and put a nut on it from inside the door---third finding 10-24 jackson head screws is near impossible (jackson head # 10 screw has a # 8 head )--i cut back the backside (41 deg) of the head of some 10-24 s/s screws for the drivers door and put the pass mirror on with 10-32 rivnts cuz i had them and modified the screw heads to match----the std # 10 screw head is too big for the c'sink in the mirror base
doctordesoto
No hard to find at all Doc!: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=389+01

1 - 6 of 6 Posts