Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask this question at the risk of being pelted with stones from fellow concourse correct members. I read I think on WCC that you can use 68 chrome rockers on a 69? I realize they are different but this is my first build and I am on a budget. My plan is 15k max car included (bought for $1800). I am doing everything myself and am on track for budget or better. Anyways i do have some respect for the cars originality but have made some non concourse choices along the way. IE paint colors rims etc.They are 1/4 of the price of the 69 repops and likely only a cougar guy would ever notice. Was thinking about painting a black stripe along the tops to keep the look similar. Has anyone done this? do you have any photos of a 69 with 68's on it?
:redface:
I figured the next guy who buys it can spring for the $600 if he is deeply offended by the 68's. In the mean time i have some nice shiny rockers.Thanks! Bish

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Have you considered leaving them off entirely? I don't think it looks bad without them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Al,
Yes I have considered that. In fact i flopped back and forth so many times the car is in primer now, with one side ready for rocker mounting and the other with the holes welded up. I think I should decide before any paint flys for sure. I am thinking about ordering them, trying them out, and if I think it blows I can sell them locally and still maybe get $100 for them. That way I minimize my risk a little. Would be great if someone had done this so I could see a pic. Thanks for your thoughts. Bish

·
Registered
568 Posts
You won't get any stones from me, in fact I'll add another crazy idea. I drove my 68 for at least 7 years with no rocker moldings. I kind of liked the look and I felt that the rocker moldings might give it a little too much "family car" look, so I never added them. Earlier this year after thinking it over for at least a year, I did something that deserves a stone or two in my direction, I added the '67 hash marks to my '68. I like the look better and if I change my mind it's only 28 holes to fill. Now, wouldn't you like to have the first '69 with hash marks?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Since the reproductions came out you can probably get originals pretty cheap. Depending on what you want to do, they might look really good in black.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Since the reproductions came out you can probably get originals pretty cheap. Depending on what you want to do, they might look really good in black.
Bish,

Since I have bought the repro moldings and used them on my car, I have two sets of decent originals I would be more than happy to part with if you decide on a course of action such as Bill is suggesting. Because I helped B&B with the final tweaks for their reproductions, I also have a number of shipping tubes specifically for these moldings (a number of sets of the early/pre production came to me for evaluation).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Bob,
Wow you are a good sh*t. I actually do have a pair that I could likely do that with {the black thing} but I will probably either go commando {no rocker} or try my 68 route. I do much appreciate the offer though. You are a true gentleman. Thanks very much, Bish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts