Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of how I can get some tips on restoring a rimblow wheel? Mine has got a crack in it and the wood grain is about wore off and I will not pay someone 4-500 bucks to do it for me. I never really liked them that much even when they were new but alot of shows only allow 3 items non stock so it would be nice to have the original wheel in place. Also I heard rumers awhile ago about some repo rimblow switches in the works. Anyone know if there availible yet? mm

·
Registered
356 Posts
REPO RIMBLOW!! Count me in!!!! I need at least 2+, and thats just 69.If could afford them. It's funny they make MOPAR rimblow switches repo. I was wondering if its the same manufacture. Anyway If you do find repro's or if anybody has a reasonable solution please let me know. I would be eternaly grateful.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Count me in too, my rimblow wheel is thrashed bigtime. I might need to find a new one, it would be nice to use it again.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt mind so much a buck and a half for a good wheel, but I think that $500 is insane for a restoration job. Even if that includes a rimblow switch thats still $350-400 for the wheel job.

My brothers Mach 1 has a perfect wheel but he needs a new switch for it also, You would think the demand would be great enough for someone to do a repo of them. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Auto Crafters has a rim blow horn switch in there catologue, I dont know if its the thing you need but it's 38. US,, p.n. C9AZ-13A875C for 69 or D1AZ-13A875A for 70-73. It was an old catologue so I'm not sure if they have it anymore. Worth a shot, if they still have them, Mark, pick me up one too, thanx.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They sold out of them almost a year ago!!! Been there, tried that.mm

·
Registered
356 Posts
You would figure someone is going to repo them. Does anyone know the OEM of the switch? With all the mustangs and cougars around you would think someone has to make them soon. Are they waiting for a greater demand? Whenever I find one for sale,boxed or tube it goes for around $200. For a piece of rubber and copper. That is outrages and I think FORD has responsibility to supply these devices, it is a safty device, it is a requirement for it to be on the road. MY .02

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I just talked to Ray, he restores them, give him a shout, he says only 1970 are available.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a 69. I know the switches are different. I would still be interested in learning how to refinish the wheel though in the meantime. mm

·
Registered
364 Posts
let's see...

add mine (73) to all the others and i think we have enough right here to open a factory!

has anyone asked this question on the Classic Cougar group (Yahoo/eGroup)?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I guess I shouldn't mention that I got my mint condition 69 XR7 Rimblow out of a $400 parts car?

Nevermind the entire interior and craploads of trim I took off it too...:bandit:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm fairly sure I spoke with a company at Carlisle last year that could provide a restored wheel with a new switch for about $300. Still a big ol' pile-o-money, but they were extra nice, with woodgraining that actually had depth to it rather than a flat paint. Felt wrong, but it looked fantastic. I'll find his card and post it tonight or tomorrow...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Alpha Cat came with a leather wrapped wheel and when I came upon a good rimblow from a parts car, I put it on there. Now what did I do with that factory leather wheel?.... Beta Cat has a rimblow, but it is in need of help. The switch itself still works, its just the trim around it that has split/fractured. That stuff is sharp!

·
Registered
6 Posts
rim blow

I spent 23 years working in Ford heavy truck dealerships Ford sold now I'm gone ,but while in the dealership I ordered 4 rim blow switches three years ago they were d-99 for about six months I ruined two putting it in other one the last one is NOT 4 sale. but while sill at the store I herd that the tooling was sold,So there might be a chance they will return. Wish I would of ordred more

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While some one brought this post back up, I still have'nt learned anything about restoring the rest of the wheel. mm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts