Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 69 xr7, I would like to restore the wheel. I have to fill cracks and restore the center piece. Thankfully there has been rimblow repro switches available. Still too expensive if you ask me. Anyway what I have figured out is to use pc7 to fill. What about the finish? Vinyl dye black, but what about that smooth black sheen? what to use? how about a the wood grain? any tips? my shifter knob seems to be similar, it is totally worn though. insert that goes around the wheel? the center I think have that figured also, a chromeish paint then a black wash over. but what chromeish paint to use? how about the wood grain insert/sticker? I don't wish to pay hundreds for a restored wheel. I have extras to practice on. Fortuntely I have a close friend that restores wooden wheels only(shelbys). but has never done a plastic wheel and was shocked at the restored wheel prices, he is willing help/ learn with me. so please if you have any experience please share. as a this seems a very expensive hurtle in my and other restos.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have heard of people filling cracks with PC7 and I know that John's Classic Cougar sells the wood grain appliques for the center piece, as for the rest........?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
He does nice work from what I have seen.

Don

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a wheel

Right now its hanging in my garage.Its black on a scale from 0 to 10 I give it a 8 1/2.The center is mint and most of the wood grain is still there.All it needs is a rim blow. Serious offers will be considered.I will try to post a picture in the for sale area tommorow.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
rays wheels are really nice and for 150 or so to restore not a bad price.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Can anybody tell me what "pc7" is?? Seems like i could use it on one of my steering wheels, but what is it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pc-7

it is this epoxy stuff. It is available in most hardware/auto parts stores. you will have to dye it to match. Some good advice so far, I would like to keep this thread going. I find it hard to believe that so few have attempted wheel resto. If I can come up with something I'll keep everybody posted.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey in my research in finding a way to restore my steering wheel, I found this stuff on eastwoodtools.com. maybe it could be used for a wood grain apperance. including is a pic of my shift knob, its woodgrain is totally smoothed out. It will need a to be restored, possibly with the same stuff used to repair the steering wheel.

Texture Coating 16 Oz. Aerosol

Item No. - 10242 Z
Replicate the original leather grain appearance of numerous trim and plastic exterior parts with this convenient aerosol product. SEM Textured Coating produces a satin black finish that accepts any of the SEM Vinyl Dyes. Just sand to remove sun dried plastic, spray with SEM Plastic Prep (52056Z); apply SEM Textured Coating and topcoat with SEM Vinyl Dye if needed. Texture is easily variable by atlering distance and coating thickness. Enough to to treat up to 10 sq. ft.

Regular Price: $12.99 This item is in stock.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Catz I have an artist detail the woodgrain onto the wheels again. She also does the crack filling and we use epoxy that she adds color to. The entire woodgrain is then clear coated with either clear satin clear or epoxy depending. As it takes several hours to woodgrain a wheel its $150 with banding. $175 for 68s that have an inner and outer band. $25 for shipping insured.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scode I put the rim blow switch deal together with a fellow in NY who made a deal with a guy in Australia. Don collected the $$ and bought several himself as did John 's I believe. The deal I put together allowed us all to get switches for less than $100 that had just prior been $250 each. Some expensive equipment had to be fabricated to make the copper strips. The equipment failed and there will be no more 69 rimblow switches available again for some time. $100 was a grrreat deal cause now they're going to creep right back to $250 cause no ones got any.
btw,The wheel centers are sprayed all silver first and baked. Then a coat of blk and then the blk is wiped off with thinners exposing the silver.
I'd stay away from trying to spray any color on backsides though. It likely will end up flaking off. Catzyalater Ray

·
Registered
889 Posts
buy mine

My wheel would make a wonderful Christmas gift for that someone special.Just put a new rimblow switch in and your ready to drive!!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts