Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Big Block cougar -sweet- but man i'd hate change the plugs on that i thought my cleveland was bad, but all the scrapes would be worth it just to drive it once

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Straycat, your right changing the plugs in your Cleavland is bad. They are actually not any harder on the FE"s. I have had them both. mm

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have gotten the plug swap routine down to 30 minutes on my 70. All it takes is the right socket extension elbow in the right place. And you don't want to do it with a hot motor.

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
ya thats what i did started on pass side with a hot motor after three plugs i gave up went to sears bought a good swivle extenion let the motor cool off and it went a lot easier, you live and learn

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Guys...

... I'm gonna yank on the wheel ('cause we are swirving off track) and try to straighten this one out. How did we go from the 1968 Mercury Cougar GTE 427 beating a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner for car of the month to the best way to pull plugs on an FE block!?! Those are two awesome cars that I think anyone on this forum would love to own yet nobody has anything to say about either of them. Instead of appreciating these two fine automobiles, we are disscussing the best way to change our spark plugs!?! C'mon guys (and gals, I know you're out there too...) stay on track, there's a GTE and a Hemi battling it out for bragging rights!

Sorry, needed to vent a little... I feel better now.

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
sorry about de-railing the thread they are both sweet muscle cars, to me the choice was easy the cougar got my vote

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm glad your feeling better now b0nes, What do you really think the people on this forum are going to say about it? This is a Cougar site, if most of its members really thought the mopar was best they would probably belong to a Mopar site.

If you want to here what everyone thinks OK, heres what I think. There both nice rare cars and I would be happy with either one in my garage. But there both way out of my price range along with most other people on this forum so I dont get too worked up about them.

Bragging rights? There only for the owners, not me. I know one thing though, even not being a Mopar fan you have to give respect to a 426 hemi. They were bad to the bone. mm

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry everyone...

... I didn't want to come across as being rude. I understand that bragging rights are for the owners, not us, and that they are both sweet muscle cars that only a few of us could ever own. It was not my intention to have my post come across as it did. I understand that this is a Cougar forum, but I'll bet that not everyone here was raised on F/L/M. I personally was raised Chevy and have an appreciation for a number of classics. I thought that some people would get a kick out of seeing those two cars and see that the Coug was ahead on a site that isn't particular to any one make of vehicle. I just just didn't think that the thread would stray like it did.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear people's opinions of the cars, they are both beautiful pieces of machinery. Sorry if I offended anyone, I do appologize.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm a serf (worker bee)

Well spoken, Mark. It would be like me arguing with my boss, Doug (68' SS 396 Nova) over Ford's GT-40 and a Dodge Viper. Neither one of us will ever own one, so what's the point? So we just argue over my 68 Cougar vs. his Nova. We're set up to race 'em this spring, so my only response now is "put up or shut up"

I admire those rare, awesome muscle cars the same way I watch "lifestyles of the rich and famous".

Ron.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Battle? I don't see no stinking battle. The cougar is crushing the mopar in the polls. Anyway, I'm also a Mopar fan. Sorry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the thing, I'd like to learn more about some of the other members on this site and I thout that this subject could open up some doors to that. I'm not saying that we have to argue over which one is better, I mean who's to really say which one is better. It's all a matter of opinion, and that's what I wanted to see on this post. I wanted to hear opinions from my peers in the community. I know there are mopar fans here, and just because you participate in this forum doesn't mean you can't belong to another...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
B0nes, no need to be sorry for anything, I just thought that threads get sidetracked all the time. No big thing to me (don't know about everyone else) I figure if someone was interested in the thread they can post something relevent to it and bring it right back.

It's not surprising to me that the Cougar is ahead in the poll, just look how much more stylish it is compared to the chunky Mopar. Even if the Mopar is a Hemi that Crossbolted 427 is no slouch. mm

1 - 20 of 52 Posts