Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the underside of my 68 Por 15'd and getting ready for some new brake and fuel lines and painting up the 8 inch rear end and getting the rear suspension back together.

I'm ordering some "split-mono" leaf springs but I need to specify a ride-height, I'm not sure how this is defined, does anyone know ?

The only thing I found in my service manual showed 15.3 inches from the center of the rear leaf spring bushing to "baseline" (I assume ground level).

I need to fit M+H Racemaster's (P275/60B15 ) which are about 26.5 inches tall so I need a taller than stock ride height (pretty sure anyway). I previously had McCreary soft compound tires on (L60-15 with air shocks - pretty bad) which seem to be the same size, the offset on the rims was great, the rubber didn't protrude from the wheel-wells, although the tire did rub a bit on the inside lip of the wheelhouse if I tried a corner too fast !

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sorry for the late response, hope this helps. I measured my 68 with new springs, and the 15.3 seems about right, I also measured from floor to wheel opening and that is 27" with P215 70 R 14 tires 28 lbs. air press.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi towcat,

Thanks a lot for the information, definitely helps to have some numbers in hand. I ordered stock plus one inch ride height springs so hopefully that will work with the RaceMaster's, off to measure it up !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts