Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash was looking really worn. I took it out and cleaned it really well with "purple power". I could not believe the amount of dirt that came off it!! After cleaning with this product full strength, I went back over it with clean rags and clean water. I bought some Mother's "Back to Black". It says it's for restoring black exterior trim but the first material on the list it can be used on is vinyl so I bought it to try. It can be used on any color trim.It is not tinted black. I rubbed it on LIBERALLY with my hands like lotion. The vinyl sucked it in. My car is a '70 vert so I have this area that is really dry and has hardened from the the sun. I thought it was ruined. I applied more to this area by hand and let it sit over night. When I checked this morning, that dried out area absorbed more of the mothers and doesn't look dried out any more!!! The only thing is,is the dash looks shiny like I used Armor All. I prefer the clean look of the newer "natural shine" products vs the shiny. Its wierd,you can wipe the shine off with a cloth but the shine comes right back!? Overall I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Keep us posted - I wonder if that shine will go away after a few weeks or so?....I think it will.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Purple Power" is a heavy duty cleaner for cutting dirt/grease. Any auto parts stores,Walmart. They all have some sort of purple cleaner. Castrol makes one also.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am looking at my dash right now here in my office ... I was wondering what I was going to try ... thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts