Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my C4 Trans was due for a rebuild. It would slip and not move forward until the trans got up to temp. Besides that, it worked great. There is a "performance" cam in the car with an RPM intake manifold and headers. Besides that, I believe the car is basically stock.

After the rebuild, the trans won't hold the car in Park. It ratchets forward. I talked to the shop and they said they could adjust the cable to fully engage Park.

The other issue is now the car feels like a "dog". The rebuild was to stock specs as that is what I figured was in the car. The shop said it is most likely due to the stock torque converter.

Besides not wanting to get off the line, it won't rev past 3500 to 4000 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear. The shop said that was from the stock torque converter. This sounded a little weird. I would not have thought a torque converter would keep the car from reving past a certain RPM.

I figure I need a higher stall torque converter. The shop said the trans probably had a 2500 RPM stall converter before which is why it felt better off the line. They also said they would never reuse a torque converter. Is there a problem with reusing the old converter?

Hopefully there is some insight on this forum for my issues. I am used to manual transmission cars and understand those much better.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
If you have the specs on the cam, or the cam card, it will tell you what converter you need, as well as a minimum recommended rear gear. Between the combination of the two, it will make the car feel slower than it was for sure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts