Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 9 and 1/2 months, the cougar is back at home, in my garage.

So here's the first post-body shop pics...

Obviously, there's no trim back on yet, the engine bay is covered in gunk, but the paint sure looks purdy... The bumpers are still up on the shelf, and the interior is buried in the back of the garage...

More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I like the color. What is the official name of that color? Also didnt your early pre body shop pics show a vinyl roof? I like it without it much better. Take your time putting it back together, remember no scratches.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok now drive it out into the sun and take some pics of it so we can really see.

I'm not coming all the way down there until its done!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
modifiedmark, I was originally going to do 2000 Chrysler Inferno Red, but it would've been over $1200 in paint alone.... Sooo... We went with it's slightly older cousin, 1998 Chrysler Radiant Red. Look for any 97-98 dark red/maroon chrysler and that's it...

The car used to have a black vinyl roof on it, but if you had to be the one to pay for the repair job from the swiss cheese rusted out roof, you wouldn't put it back on either... :)

Mark, yeah yeah yeah... Trust me, it wouldn't be home if the paint wasn't perf...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan, I just put my new headliner in today and I tell you what, If you got to do one, it aint no fun. It is a shame that mine was already a new one but the guy that I got my car from screwed it up when he did it. Just remember if you have to do one to make sure the two wire retainers are fastened from the rear bow to the back of the roof.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn that's ominous...

Yeah... I have to do mine... this week... I figured it'd be easiest while the interior is out of the car, which is tomorrows project, remove the interior and clean it up...

Then I get to start interior reassembly with all my spiffy shiny stuff.

·
Registered
109 Posts
return from body shop

Logan

Puttingthe headliner in is easier with the rear window out of the car. The rear window seal helps to hold the back of the headliner. Otherwise, you have to try and tuck the material in and it usually will wrinkle on you. My wife put mine in; it takes lots of patience. Good luck.

Barry

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
He is right, it is easier with the back window out, but my rear window seal was only about a year old so it was so flexable that you could pull it down with your fingers and push the headliner in with a credit card or something like that. You really only have to worry about wrinkles in the corners then.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fortunately my rear window was out when the body work was being done, so the seal is brand new. Hopefully won't be too difficult...

I'm not exactly known for my patience. :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You will get it. Just give your self about half a day to do it. Take your time, sit back have a beer, look at it, and it will be ok. I didnt think about it but I wish I would have taken the headliner out of the box and spread it out in the sun for a day before I went to install it to help with the wrinkles from being folded up. I used a hair dryer to help smooth out the wrinkles, and it can help the glue set up faster. I tell you what, I'll swap you. I'll put your headliner in if you will take and put my a/c evap back in. That job is going to suck.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ha! I got you beat. My A/C hasn't even been put back in yet! I have to go get a replacement compressor and get some lines made still...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Na, I dont think you have me beaten. My car was owned by a dumb sob who put a new heater core in and decided to leave the evaporator out. So there was no a/c left in the car at all even though it was a factory air car. I have all the pieces to put it back together now except I am going to buy a new reciver dryer and get a rebuilt compressor before I do. By the way Auto Zone said they could still get these parts.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, today was supposed to be gut and clean out the interior day and it ended up being "put the front end back together day"... The front end of the cat is now back together and looking shiny...

I also taped off and started painting the lower dash too. Tomorrow night I'll finish the lower dash and pop the seats and 30 year old carpeting out while waiting for my new headliner and window lace to arrive...

Modifiedmark... I still have to replace the leaky heater core in my car right now... I am NOT looking forward to it, but I better do it now before the new carpet and underlay goes in... <sigh>...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics!

Pic of the front end completed today... The grill is blacked out a'la Eliminator to tone down all that chrome a bit, and this pic doesn't do the rechromed bumper any justice at all... But all in all, very happy with the way it came together today... Getting the bumper aligned was a pain in the rear though...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts