Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us all suspend disbelief for a moment and think about the concept.

IF Ford/Mercury were to produce a Retro-designed, Rear wheel drive Cougar based on the Mustang platform, would this be a car that you could see yourself buying?

I know I would in a heartbeat, and I'd trade in my Taurus too!

Check out the poll on the main page and let us know what you think! Is the idea of a RWD, Retro Cougar a brilliant idea or a dud?

Who knows, someone just may be listening to YOU!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This was based on the last Mustang body style. Instead of hidden head lights I did sort of a Sable/Citreon SM treatment. I think it has to have a "nose" and a "side sweep" like the 69-70. Being a Cougar it should only have a V8, the XR7 should have leather and real wood trim. The Eliminator should have the Cobra motor. There has to be a convertible!

I also did a concept several years ago as a front wheel drive before it came out. I got a CAR & DRIVER T-shirt for that.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Retro Cougar - For sure

I'm in for the concept ... But I would like to see it kept along the lines of the first 4 years of the car before it evolved from the upscaled version of the Mustang to the luxury sports coupe it became ...
Me ... I like the sharp difinitive lines that sets vehicles out from others whether it be the Coug or any other machine ... Hideways into the grille would be an excellent touch ... And definitely a ragtop would be my order of the day ...

F

·
0 Posts
I've been thinking about this myself lately, I have a '93 mustang with 116,000 miles and a '70 XR7 and would like to get a new car. Problem is I really, really don't like the design or looks of any of Ford's current car lineup, and I don't want a SUV or truck. No offense to any 2001 mustang owners, but the body styling just doesn't look cohesive and the back quarters just look misplaced. I think Ford would have a big seller if they would come out with modernized versions of the 68-70 Cougar and Mustang. They could build the chassis and drive train at the same plant and put the applicable body styling on for each car depending on if it was a Cougar or Mustang. Just go back and look at the beautiful body styling and overall design of a 1968-1970 Shelby\Mach 1 Mustang or '68-70 Cougar. I would Definitely buy one. I would go up to $35000 for one. In my opinion Ford has a big market they are not serving by not reproducing these cars, they would sell to the thousands of classic Mustang\Cougar car buffs and to the 18-28 yr. old male group for sure.
- oh, Tim I love your design - hideaway lights and sequential turnsignals would be two cherries on top.
eric

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like the idea of there being a RWD cougar with the same engine as the mustang again. As for the design, in my head I know exactly how it should look, and because I can't draw, it's gonna stay in my head too. Here is my other idea; Mercury should have an XR7 with wood grain trim with leather like Tim B said. Then there should be an SVT Eliminator too which would also include the XR7 upgrades (although I'm not certain SVT is worthy or carrying the Eliminator name!) As for the exterior styling goes, I would like to see the original 67-68 look on it i.e. no side sweep, I don't think a modern designer could do it justice. Those are my thoughts - Chad

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
New Design

Motor Trend is doing a design competition for a Retro design, not Cougars per se, but that's what I'm going to do of course. I'm going to try a clean sheet based on the T-Bird/LS.

However, the last time I entered a Motor Trend design (before Ford did the 94 Mustang) they said they wanted a "real world" design, not some far out concept. Of course the design that won was a lumpy painting that was no more real than a Picasso. I took it too literally: cut lines, realistic bumpers and all! I still like it better than the one they made.

The site to enter is www.mtdesigncontest.com

This could be fun!

Tim B

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
MT design

After reading the rules, it's only for defunct nameplates such as
De Soto, Edsel, Packard, Deusenberg, etc.

.........I think I have an idea! The Edsel Eliminator, has a nice ring to it. Sort of a low buck RWD Hi Po Cougar with a horseshoe grill center and Bat wing sequential tail lights :) Nicer than a Mustang but not as posh as the RWD XR-7 we'd like to see. ???????

Tim B

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Retro Cougar

Yes! Absolutely one design parameter for the theoretical Retro Cougar would have to be sequential turn signals!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd also love to see a return to the running cat logo... But me thinks Jaguar might have somethin' to say about that...

But hey...wait a sec...Doesn't Ford OWN Jaguar now? :cool:

F

·
0 Posts
another thing

I also think it would be great if they would tone down the wrap-around interior. I'm 6'4 and have no trouble fitting into my '70 Cougar or even the pre-wraparound '93 mustang. Cars that have gone overboard on wrap-around styling do so at the expense of leg room. I feel really cramped in these types of cars. I also have a beef with the rounded roofs I was once in the front seat a '98 mustang in which I had to duck to see outside - very uncomfortable. Again, rounded at the expense of headroom + comfort. I get the feeling I will never have a new car that fits my needs.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
New Cougar

The original design goal was a car that was luxurious, fast, compact, and agile. The post 1968 cars began to sacrifice these qualities, and by the 1974 version, it was a different car. I think that a viable replacement should embrace the original design goals. The Mustang platform might be a good place to start, but the LS platform has greater potential. A two door version of the LS would be a good place to start. The volume which could be generated by a Cougar reintroduction would reduce the cost of the platform and enable Mercury to btring the car in at a resonable price level. The LS platform would also contribute to the LM family heritage.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
more

Three trims levels would provide good market traction. Each trim level would be targeted at a slightly offset market segment. The XR7 would be the base trim level. This would include the signature features of the early cars: Walnut (real this time) Dash, Full Instrumentation (the slightly idiosyncratic layout of the '67 and '68 would add personality) Toggle Switches in dash, Bucket Seats, Console, 4.6 V8 power, Seqential turn signals, Hideaway headlights, Tilt-away Steering Wheel, and of course all the power accessories (steering, ABS brakes, locks, windows, etc) and of course a killer sound system. The GT would be targeted at a more performance oriented driver. Power would come from the 5.4 V8. Improved handling, four wheel disc brakes, Larger wheel and tire package, and a unique interior treatment would create the XR7 GT package. the final package would be the GTE (Eliminator)that would add aerodynamic body work and a Super Charger (ala Lightning).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts