Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 Convertible has a stock looking antenna on it, whereby the mast portion can be removed from the base via loosening a set screw. I don't know if this is the original factory antenna or not. However, this is great for me, as it allows storing my car on a lift and not hitting the ceiling with the antenna.

I also own two 1970s. I assumed the antenna in my 69 was factory and that the antennas on the 70s would be the same, but neither of the antennas in my other cars have the same set screw setup and don't appear to be removable. This makes me think that maybe the antenna on my 69 is not factory.

Does anyone know of either a) a power retractable antenna that fits a 69/70? Or, alternatively, b) a factory-looking antenna which is easily removable from the base.

I assume others who store cars on lifts have similar issues, so what are you all doing?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
A set screw deal is a replacement mast that locks to the stub of the original (or other) base. I have an original '69 antenna and a full height lift, no issues with the antenna height even when the lift is fully up (although I leave the mast in the collapsed (lowest) height). My Rotary lift requires 12' ceiling height and my ceiling is ~12'6"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, where do you get that replacement mast, once I break the antenna? Any brands or models anyone recommends? My ceiling is more in the 11 +/- foot range and two Cougars stacked leaves just a couple of inches of play (yes, I am VERY careful when raising my lift).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip, but I am not seeing one that is just the mast that bolts onto the stub of a broken mast (which I guess is what is on my 69).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking a closer look at that link, are you saying that the mast detaches from that "spring" and can be used separately? If so, I understand what you are saying now.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1973-F...13B-/321680681556?hash=item4ae5a9aa54&vxp=mtr is a reasonable facsimile Ford replacement for the original (I don't think the original is available unless someone has started reproducing them, Drake?). The original does not have the rocker tabs and nut mounting, it uses four screws in the base to mount to the fender. The original also has a teardrop/airfoil cross sectional shape. The replacement is not concours correct by any means but works. I have one BNIB that I was dumb enough to pay considerably more for than the price of the one in the link I provided.

·
Registered
945 Posts
A set screw deal is a replacement mast that locks to the stub of the original (or other) base. I have an original '69 antenna and a full height lift, no issues with the antenna height even when the lift is fully up (although I leave the mast in the collapsed (lowest) height). My Rotary lift requires 12' ceiling height and my ceiling is ~12'6"
12'6" ceilings, and a lift ? :cry: Ok i'm sorry, now back to the pertinent posts :smoke:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just rechecked, actually my garage is 9'9" at the shortest point (117" total).

A 70 Cougar is 51.5" tall in standard trim, probably a little lower on modern tires. So, yeah, I can stack two cougars and just have a couple inches to spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts