Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is the result I had at the Summit Finals Race of Champions in Fallon, NV the last weekend in September.

block1.jpg pistons1.jpg

I ran test and tune the two days before and went 3 rounds in Jackpot race. Then the Race of Champions where I got through the first round to then race the second round. On the launch, I felt something go that felt like a rocker arm came off and was running on 7 cylinders. I stayed in it (because it's the Race of Champions that gets you to the Finals in Pomona). At 1/8th mile I lifted momentarily after seeing some smoke but thought what the heck. Got back on it just to get sideways (as described by friends at start line) I then realized it was a lost cause and lifted which then the oil went forward in the pan and out the gaping hole making my car disappear in smoke sending out the safety safari thinking there was fire. But in reality I pulled to the side getting the car stopped with the rear tire tracking in oil just past the finish line. Yes I finished the pass with the rod like that doing 14.4 at 52 mph.

Guess I can turn the rod end into a clock holder. :(

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
OUCH! Sorry to see that happen. That looks to be a supper-fresh build. Doesn't look like it wrenched anything on the journal either? Since it broke off that close to the crank the block may be slavageable huh.....wonder why it let go like that? I have never been to the Pamona track.....still on the must see places list.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have actually ran the engine for 3 seasons.

Lesson learned is spend the extra $400 to $600 for good rods.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
finding a running 460, put my heads, intake and carb on it until I save to build a 521 I think.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, the rods are the weak link in the 385 engines.

But, you got 3 seasons on that, so you did better than most. Bummer it gave up at the worst time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Hey, the car is getting new engine. 460 block is going to the machinist in an hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts