Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got everything wire brushed, sanded and ready to repaint. The header panel had a crusty white coating that wire brushed off easily enough, but the surface is pretty heavily pitted. My first thought was use some body filler to smooth things out, but before I do anything, I figured I'd see if anyone here has any suggestions as to what I should or should not do.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Use the stuff called ALL METAL from USC. It wont crack, shrink or swell up.Then use what i like to use is also made by USC called ICING.A polyester glazing putty and prime it and your good to go.

thanks
Pat

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Mine had big missing parts from very bad corrosion. I totally cleaned it by glass beading the heck out of it and then reconstructed it with low temperature aluminum welding rod and a propane torch (and then grinding to shape). A lot of work but it was all I had to work with at the time. Guessing yours is better than this and will not require such major reconstruction as mine did.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are no chunks missing, just a lot of ugly pits. The edges on each corner are a bit rough so I think I'll try the JB Weld idea to smooth those out somewhat.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Use the stuff called ALL METAL from USC. It wont crack, shrink or swell up.Then use what i like to use is also made by USC called ICING.A polyester glazing putty and prime it and your good to go.

thanks
Pat
This man has it right!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grrr! I thought I'd take off the top clamps before doing any bodywork on the header and managed to break off 4 of the 6 screws. Spent the time I had planned for refinishing the header standing at the drill press drilling out the broken screws.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Grrr! I thought I'd take off the top clamps before doing any bodywork on the header and managed to break off 4 of the 6 screws. Spent the time I had planned for refinishing the header standing at the drill press drilling out the broken screws.
Yep, stuff like the happens in doing this sort of work Jody! Do you mean the clamp strap for the top WS that goes across from one side to the other on the front bow (if it is the same as the 69/70 stuff)??

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, these were 1/4- 20 phillips head machine screws that hold the top latch/clamp assemblies to the header. There are three on each side. One of the latches is broken so I took it off to weld up the broken part. Broke one of the three screws for that side. Of course, I couldn't stop there, and for some inexplicable reason I felt compelled to take off the perfectly fine working clamp on the other side, breaking all three of those screws in the process.:mad:

There are still about 8 or so screws holding the remains of the top pad to deal with. I've been shooting WD40 at them for the past few days so I hope they'll spin out ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts