Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is finally nearing the time to paint after 3 years, yet I have still struggled with the decision to return to the original Lime Frost Poly or go with a more modern Ford Green. The Legend Lime appears to be similar but not an identical paint code. Since I already have the seats in original leather dark ivy-gold I am pretty much stuck with a green for the exterior. Since it will now be a show-runner and not a concours what are thoughts about original color vs. a slight change? Does it make any difference when showing or if selling in the future? Nearly everything in this car is numbers matching and all replacement parts have been kept as original as possible.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sounds to me like you already know the answer with how the car has been done/kept. Original is original and a deviation is a deviation (wow, aren't I profound! :buck: ).

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Paint it a color you like. Generally, if you stick with a color available in the year your car was built, you won't be penalized when you go to sell it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If your car was a rare coded car it might make a diff - but some plain jane run of the mill car won't. I agree with Jeff, go with a color that you like.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Since it is "just" a 302-4 barrel XR7 I will likely go with something just original. Maybe call it Lime Frost with a twist or Frost Poly with a twist of lime? It is pretty hard to tell the difference from the modern version Legend Lime vs the original except a little extra metallic glint to the newer version. Paint cards are hard to use and try to see what the whole car will look like when done. The Mustangs I have seen with Legend Lime aren't bad and are certainly better than the boring white, grays, reds and blues we are seeing everywhere.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So the morale of the story is it is your decision (but we'll always be glad to chime in with our opinions!).

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I know of a lime 67 with gold metallic (not sure of the correct name) that made me a fan of the color , or maybe something more custom:
limegold.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts