Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take on a big project. Probably bigger than I expect. I have been restoring my 68 for rhe last four years. Most of the restoration information has been by going to shows, talking to people, and the internet. There is nothing out there for Cougar restorations, and that is want I want to stop. I was originally going to ask for anything someone can send me for 67-73 Cougars, but was given very wise advice and will start from the beginning and take 67-68 Cougars on.
While I am not sure of what I want to do in the end, I need to start somewhere and some time, so if anyone has good, digital, information on 67 and 68 Cougars, please contact me. This does get hard when some people are the eighth owner removed and can not vouch for the authenticity of their car, but for those that are the original owners or have a car they know the history on I would appreciate photographs, technical information, whatever. Even if your car isn't Concours, I can use anything I can find. I plan on contacting various people in the CCOA database for the specialty cars.
If anyone has a good idea of what I should do with this information, I would accept suggestions. I plan on tackling 67/68s now, then 69/70s in the late winter.
My email is: [email protected]. If you have something in paper that I can scan, I would handle everything with care.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
restoration

That is what I don't know. With what we can do now with computer programs and delivery I can't see why I can't put everything on a CD and make that available. I really don't want to clog up a web site, I don't have the time to maintain one.
The problem is that I don't know how much information I am going to receive. I would like to make something that has more color photos than would normally be seen in a book, but still have the information a restorer needs. So I am in the information gathering stage.
What I need are good, clear color photos of engine compartments, interiors, body work, basically everything you would expext a restorer would want. For those that have restored their cars, think of what information you wish you had during the restoration process. I know the engine compartment is the hardest thing to work on for me.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Are you only looking for a professional restoration, or a DIY restoration or both, our cat is at the body shop at the moment, can take photos for you of the different stages, but thats just the body, the interior we will be doing ourselves [all donations re switches welcome....lol]. I'm in SA but a restoration is a restoration.:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was just think the other day that someone should write a resto "how to" book on Cougars.There is definately a lack of Cougar stuff out there. I was recently in the local bookstores (Barne's and Noble and Borders) They had a zillion books on restoring Mustangs,Camaro's,Chevelles,etc but nothing on Cougars. I could restore a Chevelle with my eyes closed because I've done 4 or 5 and pretty much know what to look out for. I'm sure that those that have restored a few Cougars feel the same way. Problem is that the first rerstoration is always a learning process (and sometimes an expensive one!) Till then, it's great to be able to get info from this sight. Everyone here is always eager to help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
restorations

I will take any and all photos of restorations. I had talked this project over with someone else and mentioned that I would do 67-73 Cougars, then maybe the later models. He told me that I should take baby chunks at first, starting from the beginning, 67 and 68 Cats. That doesn't mean I can't get information on 69-73's. That's what hard drives are made for, storage. So if you send me anything, please send me photos and the story behind your restoration. While I was origianlly thinking of straight, off-the-production-line restorations, I don't see why resto-mods can't be included. I think anyone that takes the time, effort, and money to restore their car would be proud to show their efforts.
Right now I am envisioning this as a cd, so I can use as many colors photos as possible. But if the interest is there, I may look into a book of some form.
Please send any information to my email address.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts